Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New & looking for some help/ advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 12:27 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New & looking for some help/ advice

So I got into the D2 game a little while ago and bought another to play with it has a 2" lift and remapped etc and it has been driving fine in fact is great! Until
today the D2 started to shudder when revearsing and it didnt sound too clever or feel too clever.
On the way home it didnt like a junction on a steep hill and would stall in 1st when trying to pull away so coasted down the hill backwards and then drove the longer but flatter route home which it done without skipping a beat.

When parked up my first thought was Diff issues etc so got underneath and not sure what to make if it all ( i have taken clear photos below)
So at the back of the gear box I have oil leaking which is amber in colour and is dripping off the bolt heads as zoomed in photo shows.
Following the prop back to the iddle of the truck I find another box and that is leaking as well by the looks of things again oil dripping off bolt heads so assuming its two seperate issues as the oil isnt travelling as the props are dry.
The rear diff is fine and all is dry from the middle backwards.
Im not a techy guy nor a mechanic but can do things and have friends in the know as well that can help.
Any info on what the issue/issues are and a guestimate of how far the wallet will have to open would be appreciated
Its a D2 2001 GS if that should make any difference
thanks in advance of any help

Old 05-07-2021, 05:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

Td5? Sounds like more of a fuel issue. Those oil leaks wouldn't have anything to do with your issue, at least the way l'm reading it. If they were dry, you may get some resistance and noise, but it wouldn't straighten out...just because you drove on a flatter surface. Yes, levels should be checked in axles and transfer case, for sure. However, l'd be looking at fuel pressure or condition of fuel filter.

Welcome to the forum.