Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to LR, anything I should be aware of while inspecting them??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009 | 05:14 PM
|
Mudding
Default New to LR, anything I should be aware of while inspecting them??

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to Land Rover and very excited about getting into one. I have had BMW's all my life and am a very competent backyard mechanic, but I've never had a Rover, or, for that matter, any 4x4. I'm looking at late '90s discoveries all week, and am just wondering if there are any particular trouble spots I should be aware of as I inspect the vehicles?

The one's I'm particularly interested in are:

'98 w/ 129k, new head gasket (no coolant in the block) diff, tc, and tranny fluid changed. Not ultimate interior condition but not bad. Everything seems to function fine.

'97 80k/mi engine swap.

'99 135k, moon roof doesn't work, rear windows don't roll down, clunking noise in the driveline when the vehicle is moving. This one's über cheap though...

Thoughts? I'm completely lost at the moment...

Old 06-18-2009 | 05:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

that 99 could be something to jump on. Moon roofs and rear windows failing are very common issues. Could you describe the clunk in detail? Certain driveline bangs and clanks are normal, caused by play in the driveline that just develops over time and is really incurable (unless you figure out where the play is) but easily treated with new diff, trans case, and tranny fluid, but if this clunk is caused by something else it could be bad.

Just so you know, all discoveries require premium gas, no ifs ands or buts. The general consensus on this forum (and elsewhere) is that full synthetics anywhere you can fit em is the call. It's not cheap but it's well worth it in the long run.

Old 06-18-2009 | 06:47 PM
|
Mudding

I'm looking at the '99 tomorrow. I'll get a better opinion of the clunking noise and report here when I do.
Any other things I should be aware of?

Old 06-18-2009 | 07:11 PM
Rock Crawling

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/lan...liability.html

check that site out. really good and verified my decision!

Old 06-18-2009 | 08:01 PM
Team Owner

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

The rear windoes not rolling down is a broken solder joint on the window lift ECU circuit board, you can fix it yourself for free.

As for the driveline clunk check for a low tire, you cant check it until you get it home but if the gear oils are worn out or low it will clunk, and like it was alrady staed these drivelines clunk, more so with age.
As for the sunroof not working, it could be a broken solder joint again, or a bad motor, the tracks are known to go bad, sometimes its best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Old 06-21-2009 | 02:20 PM
|
Mudding

So I'm really leaning toward the '98 w/ 129k on the clock. Went and re-inspected her again on friday, put her in the air and checked everything underneath. All bushings seems soft with no cracked or brittle rubber.
Everything functions except the rear windshield wiper. Also the headliner is sagging just a bit. That's all I can find wrong with her.

She's going into a LR mechanic for a full inspection tomorrow. Anything I should be aware of, going on this new information?

Thanks again and hopefully I'll be joining the ranks of proud disco owner very soon!

Old 06-21-2009 | 02:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by kingsly
So I'm really leaning toward the '98 w/ 129k on the clock. Went and re-inspected her again on friday, put her in the air and checked everything underneath. All bushings seems soft with no cracked or brittle rubber.
Everything functions except the rear windshield wiper. Also the headliner is sagging just a bit. That's all I can find wrong with her.

She's going into a LR mechanic for a full inspection tomorrow. Anything I should be aware of, going on this new information?

Thanks again and hopefully I'll be joining the ranks of proud disco owner very soon!
yes LR mechanics are costly.....

Old 06-21-2009 | 03:10 PM
|
Mudding

haha, thankfully I do all my own work! For an inspection, though, it's best I spend the money on someone who, unlike me, isn't going to inspect it as if it were a BMW.

Old 06-21-2009 | 11:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

if everything's working properly it should be great.