General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

While I'm doing the head gasket, is there anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation While I'm doing the head gasket, is there anything else?

I've ordered the head gasket kit and head bolts from British Atlantic so I'm planning on doing the repair this weekend. This is the first time doing this so I'd like to get some more info. Is there anything else I should do while I've got it apart?

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XxRoverAllOverxX
I've ordered the head gasket kit and head bolts from British Atlantic so I'm planning on doing the repair this weekend. This is the first time doing this so I'd like to get some more info. Is there anything else I should do while I've got it apart?

Thanks.
Magnaflux the heads. Have them pressure test and vacuum test the heads and let them put in the new valve seals that come with your HG kit. Rave says not to re-use the valve cover bolts so you may want to order them from AB. Also recommend you replace the thermostat, hoses, expansion tank cap, serpentine belt, spark plugs and 8mm wires. Get a few cans of carb cleaner and give that intake a good cleaning while everything's apart!

Eric

Old 10-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Red face

I got the head bolts so good there. I'm doing the work myself and it's the first time I've done HG's on such a modern engine so I'm just being thorough in my research. What is Magnaflux? Also, anyone have the serp belt number handy? One other thing, what oil and coolant should i be using. I'm currently using Mobil 1 5w-30 and Peak 50/50 coolant. I can't find any of the stuff that is specified in the manual. Please be specific, I'm not a mechanic so I wanna be crystal clear on what I need to do. Thanks guys.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to slow down and not touch that engine till you do a lot of research. First of all the engine is a 50 year old Buick 215, second why are you running green coolant when you are supposed to run only Dexcool and a 5W/30 is way to light unless you are up in the Artic.
Why exactly are you doing head gaskets and be specific?
Down load a free copy of the Rave CD, shop manual, for your truck and read a lot of it before you jump into this. Also, new replacement 8mm plug wires along with a new t/stat. Make sure to use a bottle of either Water Wetter or Purple Ice in your coolant system and depending on your climate up-grade your oil weight. By the way, what brand of oil filter are you using?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Three Wheeling

I have done a bit of research and I'm not doing this project alone. I have the manual already and I've been reading it but I like to check the info from the manual against the knowledge here. I have a friend who is going to help me who is a mechanic and he has a shop with all of the goodies. I've been using the 50/50 green fluid because I've been having trouble finding Dexcool (Unless it's named something else that I'm not aware of). I live in South Carolina and it gets very hot in the summer. What weight oil should I use?

The reason I'm doing it is beacause it's blowing white sweet smelling smoke. It's also idling rough and low. Once the engine warms up it stops smoking and doesn't smoke at all for the rest of the day. When the engine is above 1k RPM's it doesn't make any noise and seems to run well. I've also been having to add a lot of coolant (roughly a gal. per week since it started smoking). I've posted a few times about it and the consensus is that it's HG's. The problem is that I don't have an alternative form of transport so the job has to be done quickly. Also, I own my own business so money is very tight at the moment. Another thing is that I really want to know how to do this stuff. I have some experience with motors but they are mostly older classic stuff, just simpler all around. Thanks for all the advice!

Old 10-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

All I can say, is find the Dexcool, nearly all parts stores carry it and the green stuff, could very easily been a partial cause of your head gaskets blowing.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Wow, it's just mind boggling to me that a coolant could have such a negative effect. I did ask the guy at Advance several times if the green stuff would work and every time he points out the writing on the jug " For use in every make and model ". I can't blame him, I should have done better research.