Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 04:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,264 Likes on 890 Posts

Add says head gaskets were done, and sounds like the heads were redone, plus oil pump and timing gears.

Take it down to 4X4 Trailhead and have/paid Eric to look it over...he's just south of Cleveland in the Valley. If the frame checks out okay and engine work can be verified, and it runs strong without ticking or overheating...you can try to beating him down a bit on the price...but if the engine work is verified and she seems to run/drive/shift okay...price isn't that far out of line.

Good luck.

Brian.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:24 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I bought the "overpriced turd box" Maybe a bad idea, I'll find out.i got it for 3,900.00. I'm not rich but I will gamble that amount. I'm a contractor and 95% of my driving is in one of my work trucks as I always need my tools. This will just be a spare car I drive down to boathouse on weekends and my wife can take it to work if her car is in the shop so I don't plan on putting more than 3k miles on it a year. It's not a beauty queen and I'm not a expert but it's pretty rust free for its age. No more rust than my 2013 f-350 work truck.
The guy was pretty honest with me I think, then again he is a trial attorney by trade LOL.
The tires are pretty new. He has put some work into engine for whatever that's worth. Yes ArmyRover there is a small tick. I'm hoping it's the lifters. I found a parts vehicle for 800.00 locally I could prob get for 500.00. I'm just hoping to get a few years out of this as a spare vehicle and not throw too much money at it. If the engine blows up I'm certainly not putting a few thousand into repairs it will go to the salvage yard.

Here is a pic of recent invoices

Attached Thumbnails New member advice appreciated-image.jpeg  
Old 04-01-2018, 10:39 AM
4wd Low

Next pic

Attached Thumbnails New member advice appreciated-image.jpeg  
Old 04-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Yeah, after further inspection I wouldn't touch it. "Some crank bearings replaced". There's no reason to not do them all. That alone is a huge red flag if you ask me.

I'd give no more than $1500, and only because of the new BFG tires. Otherwise that's roughly a $1000 truck Imo.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

@Jake--sounds like you got a decent deal. Before you do anything, learn not to panic when you read online forums. People usually post because they have issues, so many posts may be discouraging. However, not all is doom and gloom. You will have to spend some money though before you can hand the keys off to your better half or have it as a reliable backup.

First of all, you can trust the gauges on these trucks. Your first purchase should be an Ultragauge so that you can monitor the car's vitals. Specifically, you want to focus on coolant temperature. Secondly, you'll have to inspect the front drive shaft. If it is the original, change it as soon as you can. Don't drive the car before you do that. The part will cost you less than $300 and you can do it yourself quite easily. Thirdly, be prepare to replace/change all coolant hoses, install a 180F thermostat, and perform a radiator flush/inspection. Heat, poor oil pressure, and dying batteries make these trucks go crazy, so you have to keep your eye on those factors.

Finally, don't worry about the tick. People go crazy on these forums, and it appears that some spend more time and money on finding out the cause of the tick than driving. If you have a serious issue, you'll find out rather soon. If not, it'll continue ticking until you replace the engine, which most of us will do at some point anyway. My car ticks lightly once in a while and it is my daily driver that gets about 1500 miles/month.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:10 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

^ hear hear
I have spent more time and money searching for the tick!
...and almost no time driving, lol.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy

Whoops, missed the post saying you'd bosught it. Sorry for the bluntness I thought you were still looking.

All the advice given above is good. In my signature there's a major service list that would be a good idea to go through. I agree on the ticking. Mine ticks and runs just fine. As long as it's not a loud knock you're probably fine on that front.

Best of luck on the truck and welcome to the club!

Old 04-02-2018, 09:33 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the replies. Where can I find the 180° thermostat to order? Better yet I should prob check and see if it was already done. Is temp range stamped on them? Of just buy s new one to be safe. Maybe I can get the guy mentioned above near Cleveland to go through it for me.

Front bumper plastic is cracked as well as the rear. The two front windows do not work. You can hear the solenoid under the dash click though. From what I read online the wires under passenger side door plastics might be corroded? All other windows work but the two front.

When I started it after I got it home something kicked on it sounded like it was behind glove box. Sounded like a vacuum cleaner. I shut off engine and you could hear it wind down. Started the engine again and it did not do it. I know these had the rear air suspension I wonder if it was the compressor kicking on? The bags were replaced with regular shocks though.

You cant seem to find any decent vehicle around here for under 3-4K doesn't matter what it is. I prob could have found something that wasn't as much of a risk though but what fun is that? I like different things and this is different. Have 3 wooden boats, collect old Honda ATC's, have some old farmsll cubs, mopeds, 6x6, etc. If I wanted the same as everyone else I would have bought a old explorer or escape and called it a day.
Im not opposed to putting some money into it if need be but I'm not going to be dumb about it. Can't throw too much money into a "overpriced turd box" lol

Like I said I think the guy I bought it from was as honest as possible He did say if I had a problem with it within 30 days that he would give me all my money back and I actually believe him. I wouldn't even really take him up on that even if there was a problem but I didn't tell him that. Sohe wasn't just trying to dump a major breakdown on me it appears.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Lucky 8 is probably your best source on a thermostat. It will be grey instead of a sort of yellow-white if it's a 180 thermostat. If you do replace it be sure to get a genuine LR thermostat, not the Motorad brand unit.

Unlikely to be corroded wiring. More likely that the motors are dead or the rollers are trashed. You'll have to pull the door card to inspect. Motors are fairly cheap at $30 or so a piece from Lucky 8. You can get a forum member discount on most things if you call them.

Good that the guy seems honest. Someone else will have to give some input on the noise. My girlfriend's new disco does it sometimes on cold start, but I haven't researched it any yet. I was guessing SAI pump.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

You may also want to download a workshop manual so that you can pretty much repair anything on the car. Get the Ultraguage first, configure it to show coolant (engine) temp and run the car for like 30 minutes. The moment it goes up to 210 or higher, turn off the car and get to your first task--replatce the thermostat with a genuine Land Rover 180F, flush the cooling system, and monitor the temperature again. Basically, don't even attempt to drive this car until you're 150% that it does not overheat.

I'd also do one more thing: Inspect your headliner for water stains. If you have any signs of water damage, put a cover on top of the car immediately. Those can be dealt with later, but you don't want to add to the already existing damage.

Quick Reply: New member advice appreciated