Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member here

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member here

Hey everyone, my name is John and I just purchased a 1995 Discovery. I think these trucks are really cool, but I don't want to get in too much trouble with maintenance. I just bought the truck today, it's red with tan interior, has some GoodYear MT/R's on it, and runs great. THe only issue I have is the SRS light is on, the ABS light is on, and a light that has a gear with a thermometer in it is on. I'm guessing that's a transmission temp light? Is that transmission light a really bad thing, transmission might already be toast? I'm getting it all checked out on Monday.

Thanks,

John

Old 07-11-2009, 10:38 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the new truck. Where's the pics? Do you have the auto or manual tranny?

Yes, the gear with thermometer is you transmission temp light. First thing you need to do is download the RAVE manual. You can click on the link in my signature to get to it. Is the tranny temp gear coming on while driving or just staying on all the time? Check the fluid level and condition in your transmission. Low or extremely old fluid can cause the tranny temperature to run hotter than it should. If you continue to allow the tranny to get hot to the point the light comes on you will do damage.

SRS light is something either the dealer or an independent mechanic with a LR computer will have to deal with. It's a fault in your airbag system.

ABS light on a D1 is very common. Most people pull the fuse under the hood and just drive without ABS. Most likely your problem is at least one bad wheel sensor. Again this is something that you'll need a mechanic with a LR computer to read the codes.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:02 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

SDinDS made a point in another thread that made me think. Does your horn and cruise control work? If not it could be your rotary coupler behind the steering wheel is bad and causing your SRS light. I'm assuming 95s have the cruise control switch on the steering wheel like my 97.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:09 PM
4wd Low

It's an auto trans. The horn does work, but not sure about the cruise control. I will update on Monday when it goes in for maintenance.

John

Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 PM
4wd Low

The other thing is that the brakes feel like wood. It doesn't stop great, but I didn't expect it to stop like a Porsche anyways. The pedal doesn't go low, just doesn't have great pedal feel, is this fairly normal?

Thanks,

John

Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 PM
4wd Low

I have to detail it first, then will post some pics. should be up next week sometime.