Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Intro/ladder question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Member Intro/ladder question

Hello from Chicago,

I am a new 2003 Land Rover Discovery ll owner and hope that this forum can help us take care of our purchase over the years! We bought the car from a friend. We know that the car was maintained well, oil changes, electrical update ($1,500!) and it looks pretty good.

Interested in the head gasket issue. The dealer (took car in to replace cracked headlight my daughter crunched and get the oil changed/car basically inspected) mentioned that it may need to be replaced since there was seepage. The car only has 76k miles. Wonder if this isn't just a stock suggestion in hopes we would say yes, please do it. They say $5k for the job. Not doing it (haven't gotten car back to get second opinion or see it myself) but after reading some posts see this could be an issue later.

Thank you for any advice on this head gasket question.

misslisapete

Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Before you buy it, have another shop do a pre-purchase inspection so you don't get stung.
As for a Head Gasket job on a SAI engine, between $1500 to $1800 is the going number.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Word of advice, don't ever go to a dealership unless you need immediate part availability... for anything.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

AB has the best price on a ladder if that's your question.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not even the free coffee in the waiting room. Ever.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Keep an eye on fluid levels, including coolant. Daily for first two weeks, then weekly. Coolant loss can quickly lead to overheating. The heat gauge will point at 50% from 130 to 230F, so it is not much of an indicator, a scanner or Ultra Gauge is better. You also have the option of DIY head gasket (parts are like $300, plus two weekends of wrenching plus machine shop ($200) in between. If you go the route of pouring in "stopz leakz" sealant, it may work for a while but is not a long term fix and can certainly cause other problems on its own. A sound like water rushing thru pipes under the dash can be air in the coolant (leak), or exhaust gas (head gasket).

Also, we did not ask, but if it is oil seeping from up high on the engine that can easily be valve cover gaskets that need to be snugged up with an 8mm 12 point 1/4 drive socket.

Head gaskets and overheating are one of the most common problems from "new to me" Rover owners that join us.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM
8th Gear

Grandkodiak,
I actually did need a headlight right away. My daughter crunched ours and it was literally falling out. I figured while it was in there we would have an oil change (there was a promo running) and a once over.
thanks so much though for your warning! I agree wholeheartedly.
:-)

Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 PM
8th Gear

ZGphoto,

Just got a ladder from them. It seems flimsy and attaches to the car door with sheet metal screws. I assumed it would at least hang off the top. From the pictures, it appears that the "genuine part" does.

Thanks!
misslisapete

Old 02-13-2013, 06:06 PM
8th Gear

Savannah Buzz,

Thanks for the tips. Will keep an eye on coolant. I haven't had a chance to look at the seepage myself since we picked up the car tonight after dark. Will check for oil in the morning. Appreciate everyone's help on this!

misslisapete

Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by misslisapete
ZGphoto,

Just got a ladder from them. It seems flimsy and attaches to the car door with sheet metal screws. I assumed it would at least hang off the top. From the pictures, it appears that the "genuine part" does.

Thanks!
misslisapete
It doesn't slide down onto the top of the door?

Quick Reply: New Member Intro/ladder question