Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner - '97 Disco LE - having many problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:53 PM
dow
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new owner - '97 Disco LE - having many problems

its actually not a door, it sounds like its in the dash, then it switches and sounds like something under the hood, then back again after the same amount of clicks... while this is happening the car will not start and none of the dash acc lights come on. I fix it by wiggling the positive batt cable and the alarm goes off, then the car will start and clicking goes away... this is why I'm thinking about replacing the cables from the positive batt terminal, any thoughts?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 PM
4th Gear

A quick test might be to drop in a known goodbattery (from another car you have?) and see what's going on...need to go thru a process of elimination to narrow things down...dude seems you bought a lemon how did you pick this car in the first place.

Another possibility is bad (or intermittent) grounding. Previous guy who had worked on the wirings probably did a shabby job.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Mudding

I was have a starting problem and was gettting a huge draw when I would start it. Turned out to be a bad battery. Batteries are cheap in comparison to new wiring.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 PM
dow
Three Wheeling

finally got around to changing the plugs, made a significant difference and it stopped sputtering at idle... gonna change out the plug wires next

I'm excited about how much of a difference just new plugs and and a bottle of injector cleaner has made.

Mike, would it be a good idea still to run a bottle of seafoam with my next tank?

milage - 161,800+
year - '97
plugs - bosche platinum +2

Old 08-18-2007, 09:11 PM
dow
Three Wheeling

well, fixed all of the electrical problems, sputtering and other engine/drive train issues...

ran into a new problem... today I stopped at a light after driving all day and being that it was a LONG light I didn't feel like holding my foot on the break pedal any more so I put it park... BIG mistake, next thing I know I'm stuck almost in a busy intersection and I can't shift at all, the brake lights and turn signals don't work, and I can't get my key out of the ignition. I've heard the neutral safety switch will keep your car in park, but what about the dead lights and key?

the car runs fine as of now other than needing new o2 sensors... while I've found the solenoid that locks out the shifter and found a temp work around, is there any way I can remove the key from the ignition?