Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner DIY oil change '04 66k dealer maintained

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner DIY oil change '04 66k dealer maintained

The previous owners pretty much followed LR's service schedule at dealer service depts. from day one. At 61.5k miles the last owner did the 60k service. I bought the truck at 62k. Now at 66k I just changed the oil myself using Castrol synthetic w/ a Mobil 1 oil filter. Question: do LR service depts. use synthetic oils or did I wait too long to do the change (there was a Carquest oil filter from the last service)? Also does LR perform a routine engine flush and/or induction cleaning, or is that only reserved for real LR enthusiasts? Since I didn’t know the answer to that nor did I know what type of gas the PO’s used I did the 20 minute idle ATF engine flush. Should I also do the Sea Foam induction flush, or is that overkill?
A few other observations: at cold start the truck used to (pre-oil change and flush) make some bad noises, like a dry metal banging (lifter noise?) and would also have piston “slap” for a few minutes until warm. Now those noises are gone and the piston knocking lasts a minute tops. Did the ATF engine flush do the trick or the oil change or both? What might that noise have been? Note: the noise was there from the day I bought the truck, which was only 500 miles after it got its first 60k service. Now the old oil did look really dirty at the change- THOUGHT… is it poss. that LR didn’t change the oil at the 60k service? The receipt for it didn’t break down the specifics, it just indicated a 60k service was performed. Horror to think it may have gone some 10k miles on regular oil!!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: new owner DIY oil change '04 66k dealer maintained

Well LR recommends 7500 miles oil change intervals, so...the oil will look really dirty even when changed at 7500.
Just because the truck was in for the 60k service doesnt mean that the oil was changed.
"Mr. customer, we recommend that you have A,B,C, andD done today per LR recommendations. It will cost you X for these services today. If you agree please sign here"
"No thank you, I will take theB andC but not the A or D."
NEVER assume that the previous owner did what they were supposed to.
If it was dealer serviced the truck the "passport to service" book will be filled out at the proper intervals. That will tell what was done and when.
A bad/cheap oil filter will cause the noises that you described at start up.
Just because it was serviced at the dealer doesnt mean that they use quality parts, like oil filters. Most service departments have contracts with outside vendors to provide motor oil and filters. Dealerships areindependant, they can use whatever supplier they want, within reason. Other than knowing what to look for or where all the lube points and service intervals are the dealer is no different that a quick lube.Just that they cost more.
Keep using the full synthetic and change it every 5,000 miles and youll be good to go.
Mobil 1 oil filters are one of the best you can buy, but at $10 you can buy two really good oil filters.