Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner here, have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner here, have some questions...

New guy here and first post...Just bought a 2001 Discovery and have a few questions...

1. The right horn button doesn't work but the left one does. Any thoughts on that?

2. Owner's book says only to use "approved Land Rover" accessories with the cigarette lighter. Does this mean using a cell phone charger would mess something up? Any problem with leaving it plugged in all the time without draining the battery?

3. Replacement windshield wiper blades...I've done some searches on this forum and see that most either buy them from the dealer or rig something to fit. One poster said he got them from Wal-Mart and they fit just fine. I didn't have that kind of luck (couldn't find any). Any ideas on where to get them short of going to the dealer?

4. Premium versus regular gas...I've always thought if it doesn't knock/ping/diesel on regular then there isn't a problem. Would premium make that much of a difference in engine life? I personally don't have a problem spending $2 extra per tank, but my wife needs a better reason

Thanks for any help!

Old 03-05-2006, 02:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: New owner here, have some questions...

Hello

1. as far as the horn I wouldn't worry about it probably something on the right is just not connected.

2. I use my cell phone charger in the cigar lighter all the time nothing happens I usually disconnect when I leave the Truck though

3. Try ebay.com or britishpacific or maybe see if your town has salvage disco2s.

4. That gets alot of talk here on this forum I tell you my observations when I uses premium my 96 D1 it runs great tried regular gas and it ran fine but my mileage suffer not a decline in power or at least I didn't notice it. It's like this premium is what land rover suggested for their vehicles I think it's crazy because it's an off road vehicle and not a sports car but the premium gives the discovery good preformance and mileage. If your money is low then buy plus or regular with octane booster but many will tell you premium doesn't really make engines last any longer just better performance there is one guy on the forum has a 95 D1 at 300K and all he uses is regular. Back in 2001 with my moms first discovery she used regular and didn't notice anything sluggish takeoff and miles of gas lost but nothing serious. all that might happen is carbon build up which can cause engines probs but run carb cleaner.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Overlanding

Thanks disco, I kind of thought that the premium gas wouldn't make that much of a difference. As for the wipers, Walmart didn't even have Land Rover listed in the wiper guide book at the shelf. It did have Rolls Royce so go figure! Autozone was no help either.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:29 AM
Mudding

i have a 1995 disco 1 and it uses off the shelf windoe wipers from autozone, nothing special. Just buy the "screwless" window wiper blades they fit right in. I wouldnt think that the disco 2 has different type of blades than most other cars, that would be dumb on landrovers part. Wouldnt you think?

Old 03-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Overlanding

The blades don't have the typical U-shaped end on the wiper arm like American and Japanese cars. It has a sliding clip, never seen anything like it but I've said that alot about this vehicle I might just be able to replace the rubber strip instead of the entire blade.