Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner transmission leak questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 06:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner transmission leak questions

Hi guys I just picked up a 03 discovery with 115k on the clock. Very well taken care of, it was the nicest out of all the ones I tested. With that said yesterday was it's first day at my friend's shop who is a really talented mechanic. He specializes in BMW but he works on Land Rovers from time to time. He owns a Range Rover himself so he is familiar with these trucks.

Anyway so yesterday we put it on the lift and changed the front brakes and rotors. We also drained out the red coolant that came with the truck and went with the green kind. While up on the lift we proceeded to give everything a thorough checking. All suspension components checked out with flying colors. The yellow Bilstein shocks look pretty new. The only negative points were the leaks. I was aware of the oil pan gasket leak but my friend also pointed out that it seems to be also coming from the front crankshaft oil seal. I will be ordering this piece to replace Oil Seal Engine Front (Part # ERR6490) - Land Rover gaskets and seals from Atlantic British. The second leak was a bit harder to spot. The whole bottom of the tranny was wet. We cleaned everything off with brake cleaner and dried it up. We refilled the transmission back up with about 1qt of fluid which was missing due to the leak. He says he feels it can be coming from the rear transmission seal ( Seal Transmission Rear (Part # RTC4650) - Land Rover gaskets and seals from Atlantic British ) and the pan gasket. I went to the truck today and snapped this picture:

Name:  wFSpI.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  161.0 KB

As you can see most of the leak is coming from the front. The transfercase is wet as well. Sorry for the crappy pic, I can try to get better ones if you guys need. I guess my question is, do the diagnostics sound right? any other seals I should be replacing while Im doing this? Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated.

CR

Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I wouldn't be replacing any seals if it were me, obviously its not a large leak so who cares?
Just check the fluid level every oil change and top off if needed.
White Shepard makes a great stop leak, I used it in my engine and it stopped the front main seal from leaking.
Valvoline Maxlife ATF also has a stop leak in it, change the trans filter and switch over to that and if it does not stop after a few months add the White Shepard.
But to answer your question, as long as you have the trans out of the truck replace all the seals, might as well replace them on the t-case too since you'll have it all apart.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I wouldn't be replacing any seals if it were me, obviously its not a large leak so who cares?
Just check the fluid level every oil change and top off if needed.
White Shepard makes a great stop leak, I used it in my engine and it stopped the front main seal from leaking.
Valvoline Maxlife ATF also has a stop leak in it, change the trans filter and switch over to that and if it does not stop after a few months add the White Shepard.
But to answer your question, as long as you have the trans out of the truck replace all the seals, might as well replace them on the t-case too since you'll have it all apart.

Thank you for your input, So you're saying just drop some of this stuff into the tranny oil Valvoline.com > Products > MaxLife > Automatic Transmission Fluid with Stop Leak MaxLife > MaxLife® Transmission Stop Leak and change the filter. For the engine oil pan gasket I think I'll just change that since it's easy enough. I'll add BlueDevil Oil Stop Leak to kill the seal leak.

I've never used any of these items in the past, have you had experience with these? I rather avoid removing the transmission but if this can have any kind of negative effect I would just bite the bullet and bring the tranny and transfercase down.