Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New plugs... Sore knuckles!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New plugs... Sore knuckles!

Yesterday I removed the Champion RC11PYPB4 (double copper/platinum) spark plugs just after 10 months. They were initially installed with new gray stock Genuine LR 7mm wires. I had purchased the wires & plugs from AB a few years ago but they sat in a box because I procrastinated reading about the headache it was with getting past the intake & SAI.

It ran just ok....better than before but just that nothing to feel great about. I read about buying upgraded wires and all of the opinions about Bosch vs. Champions premium Platinum plugs. That option was not open since I had already purchased the parts and could not return them due to them sitting packed in a box/storage for over a year. I remember using NGK plugs in my VW and read a lot of great things about them. I figured I would compare them and swap them for the Champions. Worst case scenario... Go back to the Champions. The Champion RC11PYPB4 (double copper/platinum) were gapped at .040 and the NGK V-Power BPR5EY (double copper/nickel) gapped at .032 out of the box.

The NGK completely felt different from the start. Idle was smooth, slight miss was gone and then the road test. Pulling power was back and it had noticeable passing gear improvement. I know about the durability topic versus the other premium plugs but you know what? I know that they will be replaced in a year because they were priced great $2.49/ plug and I will want to visually check them out knowing I can do it on my own. Next will be MPG comparison.

On a separate task a few weeks prior to the plug swap yesterday. My D2 was burning a little rich and posting the 0441 code hence I replaced the Purge Valve and gas cap. No more code and it is running leaner. They may have contributed to some wear on the Champions. Time will tell...

Last edited by Zonk872; 05-28-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you just change plugs or also do the new wires at same time as the NGK plugs?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

If your engine was running rich, replacing the purge valve and gas cap wasn't the problem, neither have any effect on MPG.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Did you just change plugs or also do the new wires at same time as the NGK plugs?
Wires got replaced and plugs (Champion) about 10 months ago. I replaced only the plugs (NGK) yesterday.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling

I Googled my Code 0441 when it intermittently would post on my Ultra Gauge. I found symptoms of a bad Pirge Valve would be: rough idle, burning rich followed by more oil leaks. The gas cap was replaced after because it clicked both directions and would not tighten. Figured it was a matter of time before I got another code. This all happened a few weeks ago. The truck stopped popping the code 0441 and did not smell rich on first start like it was running.

I changed the plugs again because the truck idled with what felt like a slight miss but more importantly just felt average when performing such as getting up to speed or passing. Both noticeably improved just changing the plugs. I changed them because the cost was cheap and the labor was free. I had nothing to lose other than sore knuckles. There are opinions backing NGK plugs even LR owners. This combined with using them in the past and having good results motivated me to give it a chance. Figured I would share the information to everyone else.