Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new rotors vibrating on Disco

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rotors vibrating on Disco

Just installed new EBC front rotors and semi metallic pads. For some reason there is a vibration (most felt at 40-50 mph) that is definitely the rotors. What did i do wrong? At first i stalled the old shims but had to bend the tabs to make them work, but the rotors seemed to overheat like the pads were in contact with the rotors all the time. So, i pulled them and that issue is better, but I still get that vibration. Please help.
thanks

Old 01-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only things i can think of is you either have bad calipers, ill machined rotors(i doubt it being ebc's), the rotors not being flat on the hub, or lug nuts not torqued right. But make sure theres nothing on the hub not letting the rotor sit flat on the hub. A little piece of rust or dirt will definatly throw things off. I dout it but the shims might have made the clearance to tight to fit the new pads and rotors.

Last edited by Long Haul; 01-30-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Drifting
Default rotor vibration

the calipers were fine before I changed them. I pulled the shims and that seems to help with the overheating issue. I also loosened the rotors (not removed) and tapped them to make sure they were seated right. Seemed like a slight improvement but there is still a slight vibration at mid range speeds (not under 30 or above 60. Thats wierd). Any other thoughts? I could completely remove the calipers and rotors but that is more than i was hoping. thanks for help! -J

Old 01-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Drifting
Default Rotors Flat Against Hub?

I know that this was already mentioned, but this has proven difficult for me in the past. To make sure, I put the lug nuts on with just the rotor on and tightened them down. This helped make sure that the rotors met the pad. You should be able to tell if one side of the rotor is down if the useless rotor screw is out and the hub looks flush through the screw hole.

Also, if you have axle supports, then put both sides up high enough to rotate the wheel. Obviously, if the rotor gets caught in the rotation then you know where it is off.