Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Rover

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:49 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Rover

Just bought an abused 2003 Discovery 2, first Land Rover.

Drove with no issues (around 150 miles) and it started up the next day just fine. Moved it in the driveway and it stalled when idling and would not start again. 😬 After fiddling with it for a while and using some statrting fluid finally got it started and moved it into the garage where it promptly died. I

I figured out by looking around on forums that it had to be the crank position sensor. I found one in stock at a local Advanced Auto Parts, it's off brand but looks quality. I put in on this morning (major pain, my hands are too big) and now seems to be starting with no issues.

Hopefully that's taken care of.

I also need to put tires and a y-pipe on it to pass PA inspection, looks like the previous owner cut the cats out and the state of PA is not impressed with that.

Anything else I need to be on the watch for?

Where can I get a y-pipe with cats cheap?

Already planning on rebuilding the front driveshaft.

Apparanlty the previous owner put in a new power steering pump and all new injectors, plugs, and wires. Most of the vacuum hoses and clamps look to be new.

thanks,
Elliott

Old 02-25-2018, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Check with Paul Grant for a used y-pipe

The following users liked this post:
Redtail85 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 05:17 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Look for a Y pipe on ebay they are around 600 less that includes both cats. Magnaflow and it should be CARB compliant or Federal. I am not sure if a used y pipe can be purchased or ship out of state.

Redtail85 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 05:34 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Welcome to the forum. Check with Paul Grant for a used y-pipe
how can I get ahold of Paul Grant?

Old 02-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Redtail85 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 05:42 PM
4wd High

Here she is, 102000 miles. Spent the day cleaning up the filthy interior and it's finally looking halfway decent. Replaced the cps, air filter, and serpentine belt and poured in a can of sea foam. Just need to get tires and y-pipe. Stock stereo sounds good. This will not be a daily driver, just extra vehical and camping rig, might lift it in the future.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

If Paul doesn't have one...I paid 2 hundred for a y-pipe at the junkyard.

Brian.

Redtail85 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Good looking Disco

Redtail85 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 06:53 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Redtail85
Just bought an abused 2003 Discovery 2, first Land Rover.

Drove with no issues (around 150 miles) and it started up the next day just fine. Moved it in the driveway and it stalled when idling and would not start again. 😬 After fiddling with it for a while and using some statrting fluid finally got it started and moved it into the garage where it promptly died. I

I figured out by looking around on forums that it had to be the crank position sensor. I found one in stock at a local Advanced Auto Parts, it's off brand but looks quality. I put in on this morning (major pain, my hands are too big) and now seems to be starting with no issues.

Hopefully that's taken care of.

I also need to put tires and a y-pipe on it to pass PA inspection, looks like the previous owner cut the cats out and the state of PA is not impressed with that.

Anything else I need to be on the watch for?

Where can I get a y-pipe with cats cheap?

Already planning on rebuilding the front driveshaft.

Apparanlty the previous owner put in a new power steering pump and all new injectors, plugs, and wires. Most of the vacuum hoses and clamps look to be new.

thanks,
Elliott
I did my y pipes a couple of years ago, and got Walker Cats off of Rockauto. They’re good, and have taken care of my cat codes. My advice though is to get Y pipes that come in two pieces, as they will not bolt right up, and need to be cut anyway. That was my experience.

I’d probably spend a little extra and get the Magna flow if I did it again. The Walkers has a rebate.

Also, make sure you get all new hardware/gaskets for the pipes, too. Go to a good Exhaust shop. I tried to save money going to the cheap guys, and that did not pay off, and I ended up paying twice.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:12 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by CollieRover

I did my y pipes a couple of years ago, and got Walker Cats off of Rockauto. They’re good, and have taken care of my cat codes. My advice though is to get Y pipes that come in two pieces, as they will not bolt right up, and need to be cut anyway. That was my experience.

I’d probably spend a little extra and get the Magna flow if I did it again. The Walkers has a rebate.

Also, make sure you get all new hardware/gaskets for the pipes, too. Go to a good Exhaust shop. I tried to save money going to the cheap guys, and that did not pay off, and I ended up paying twice.
thanks, the y-pipe I found for cheap on eBay is in two parts but has tiny cats on it. I'm not sure they'll pass pa inspections or not. Crazy thing is the disco not throwing and check engine lights with he cats deleted... I need to hook it up to a scan tool and see if there's anything there

Quick Reply: New to Rover