Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to rover, not to cars, just bought a disco II

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to rover, not to cars, just bought a disco II

Ok, let the fun begin....Just bought a 99 disco II 7 passenger today, it's got 55000 miles on it. i've been checking the forum here for info on does and don'ts, goods and bads, and the tech section. I see mike's write up on major service, and have ordered most of the stuff on the list from british atlantic and napa. My first question is what else do the guru's suggest at 55000mi. The back story on this disco is that it's been stored for 3 years, i bought it as is fresh out of the barn. A customer of mines dad died and I bought it out of the estate. (I'm a tech and own a service center) I know very little about these rovers, and theres probably only 5 (including other models) in a 200 mile radius. I may have over payed (2000, full load, leather, pwr everything, rear jump seats, ace, rear air suspension, front bar, 16's bfg's on them, 18's with scorpions). With a new battery it fired right up, no noticeable leaks under it, your 3 amigos lit up, and the mil light, muffler has a hole in it, and the frame is quite flaky. Outside looks like new, and the inside looks near showroom fresh. I kind like the odd looking pink thing and would like to keep it if it doesn't break the bank making it road worthy again. I'm here to learn, i know they're quirky rigs, advice on what to go over is appreciated. thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with that low of miles at $2K I think you got a steal even in todays market. check the front driveshaft..if it doesn't have greasable zerks it will need to be rebuilt.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Look at my major service list at the top of this section and do the entire list before you go playing. Also have someone rebuild or replace the front drive shaft if it only has 1 grease fitting or it will fail, especially after sitting for so long, and it can take the tranny with it.
Always use 91 plus octane gas.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Congrats on the rover. I am in New Brunswick and am getting ready for my first winter with a rover, always had jeeps before. This is a great site for info and tech help. You should download the manual, its free and helps a bunch. You also might want to buy the ABS amigo code resetter thingy. You need it for any ABS codes, a normal OBDII code reader won't work. I paid $160 I think for mine. Bought it right here. Good Luck. By the way, my wife LOVES her Disco!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pink thing? We need photos for this one!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:56 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
Pink thing? We need photos for this one!
Ditto! I'm a little nervous....

Glad the Amigos were there to welcome you! But 55K miles for only $2K with an extra set of wheels/tires? Yowza! Welcome to the forum!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Default pinkie

thanks for the welcome guys, I've done some color research since posting, It seems its actually rioja red. (still looks pink in the sun to me!) I'll definitely pull the front shaft and rebuild it, do mikes list, and download that manual. I'll see if I can load up some pics over the weekend. I'm good to go scantool wise, snap-ons new scanner has added coverage for the 99 and up rovers on body, engine, abs, trans, and airbag, and I have one