Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rover...problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rover...problems

I just purchased a new Land Rover about a month ago, and I have a slight knock coming from the top end and an oil leak coming from the front of the engine. I have decided to nip the oil leak in the *** and replace the oil pump components. My question is...do i have to replace the oil pump cover or the inside components? If anyone has any insight or is in the Indianapolis area and can help I would appreciate it!

I got the Land Rover for $2600, all the bells and whistles work just some engine problems.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You will need everything in here except the timing chain and gears.
Timing Chain Kit (BOSCH Engine) | Land Rover Engine Parts at RoverParts.com
Then you also need the oil pump.
Oil Pump Gear Kit | Land Rover Engine Parts at RoverParts.com
Thats all you need.
You reuse your front engine cover.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you spike! That info really helped...I'll post how it goes and I might hit you up for more info. Thanks again

Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Replacing your oil pump is not going to fix your leak. If you are going to go through the trouble of replacing your
pump located in the front cover I would inspect your
pump rotors per the rave
manual and then replace if
needed. The two seals you
must replace are the front
cover and crank seal which
would be related to the leak.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0304Disco
Replacing your oil pump is not going to fix your leak. If you are going to go through the trouble of replacing your
pump located in the front cover I would inspect your
pump rotors per the rave
manual and then replace if
needed. The two seals you
must replace are the front
cover and crank seal which
would be related to the leak.
+100.

If you are very comfortable under vehicles...climb under the rig with a rag and wipe up as much of the oil that has leaked...get everything clean enough so you can see where the oil is coming from. Start the vehicle and CAREFULLY climb under and observe...particularly the front seal (most bottom pulley) fits into the front cover...

If that is the source of the leak, get yourself the handy-dandy tool to replace the seal from the front, along with a new seal.

Depending on the mileage of the vehicle, IF you are going to tear it down and replace the oil pump components, I would also do the timing chain/gear, water pump, get yourself new pulleys and a new belt.

I had this entire thing apart maybe 1.5 years ago to replace the front cover gasket, she was leaking coolant. It's not a fun job. In any case, got her all back together and just recently I lost a pulley that shredded the belt and the belt wrapped itself around the crank and ate my front seal. I am mildly retarded and for whatever reason remembered that the front seal is installed from the back of the front cover (which is inaccurate)--so I tore the entire thing down...If you DO NOT need to remove the front cover, you do not want to!!!!!

It's a considerable amount of work...to do just the front seal, all you have to do is remove the belt, the fan and the crank pulley (which might be a little tricky without access to the crank)--

If you do the front cover, you're dropping the oil pan, which isn't too bad except for some of the bolts being obscured by oil lines, you'll want a new O-ring for the oil pickup, that is removed too. A couple of oil lines are unbolted from the front cover as well as a coolant line...at this point you'll have a nice mess of coolant and oil everywhere. You have to remove the belt and the fan...crank pulley. You'll have an easier time getting the front cover off if you remove the other idler pulley's. 9 bolts to take the front cover off.

HTH

Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

what he said:

if its only the front seal you can change it in the truck without removing the front cover.
If you have to remove the front cover you might was well replace the timing chain and gears, youre already there.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a good chance it's actually the oil cooler hoses that go to and from the oil filter area and the radiator. The hoses cold flow under the clamps over the long course and begin to leak. Wipe everything off with a degreaser and dry it and see if you can tell where the leak really is.

In IN, PT Schram is just outside Ft. Wayne.