Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie!!! Im torn

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie!!! Im torn

Im at an impass. I really, really like the looks and the idea of a Land Rover (looking at early 2000's Disco). Everybody I talk to or reviews I read about say the off-road capabilities are amazing, and then of course there is the reliability. I am fairly mechanical, I do the majority of repairs on our vehicles, but I am not too familiar with Land Rovers or very "high tech" cars and systems. I hear a lot about the need to keep a rigid maintenance schedule and such which I have no problem with. The thing is this will primarily be my wifes kid and grocery getter, and my toy on the weekend when I can steal it from her. So on to my question, truly honestly how bad (or good) is the reliability of this era if Disco? The online reviews either seem to be either people hate or love them. I just want to know what Im looking at if Im gonna buy something for my family. I dont want my desire for one to put us in a financial hole, and then end up selling it a year later. Thanks and I appreciate any comments.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run for the hills, do not buy a Land Rover. Before my land rover, I did not need a mechanics help for over 10 years , now I do. I have a few probs with mine, where my familys mechanic cant figure the probs out, he told me to take it to Land Rover, they cant figure them out. If you love to through money away and repair your truck more than you drive it, than buy one. I have a 2001 disco II, bought it used super clean inside out, all maintainece was done at LR before I owned it.

Soon as I figure out how to repair mine, its going up for sale.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default take his advice

You just got the best advice you could have gotten.. The only thing Land Rover and Wife and kids have in common is a brand new one off the showroom floor so i hope you have some serious coin. Buying a used land rover is like buying a used hooker. They may look good on the outside and the test ride my be good but living with one will surely kill you. On the other hand, if you have a full lift in your garage, nothing but time on your hands, could care less about spending your time with your family or doing anything thats fun or enjoyable, The truck is for you. Just make sure it has a tick or a over heat problem and jump all over it.. oh, I hope you like mexican as the 3 amigos come with it for free...

Don't be a idiot, Run like you dropped the soap in the prison shower on your first day there...
Don't me torn as a Land Rover will tear you a new one...

Chris

Last edited by vandev; 05-02-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Wouldnt trade my disco for anything. Over 200,000 on mine the only repairs I have had to do outside of what i would concider standard wear and tear would be the Abs modulator and the head gaskets also the Maf is pretty finiky.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:06 AM
4wd High

It does not sound like a LR is for you, unless it is brand new. The reliability really is that bad for that era of truck. It is inevitable that whatever LR you buy from that era will break down soon after you buy it, even if you 100% keep up with the maintenance. I love my Disco II, it is great for the weekends and for having fun, but there is NO way I would depend on it for getting to work or with my fiancee driving it. I also am assuming you know about the 13-14 mpg, which for ferrying the kids around is not good.

If you really just want a toy for the weekends and you are fine with putting time and money into it, then buy one. However, if you really need a reliable vehicle (sounds like you do), stay far far away.

Sorry for another downer, because I love mine and I don't want to bash the Discos they really are great vehicles, just not reliable enough.

Also 05gixxer, you realize you noted head gaskets as a repair, that is one of the largest reasons to not buy a Disco right?

Last edited by MNRover14; 05-03-2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: reread 05gixxer's post
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Many owners leased a Disco as the do anything Mom vehicle, but fell behind on required services. Then they unloaded it. There are always things to do to a Rover, and if you are not proactive then SWMBO will be stranded, or she will develop a schedule that involves the repair shop. If you can't DIY (time, space, tools, skills, get r done attitude), a Disco is "high maintenance" compared to a versatile mini van.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie!!! Im torn-bad-mechanic.jpg  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

great vehicles if you can do the work yourself and plan on putting about $1500 into as soon as you buy it to bring it up too snuff. There are more economical and dependable vehicles to put your family into sorry to say.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

replace the alternator, water pump, crank position sensor and brake light switch with new parts.

rebuild the head gaskets, front drive shaft and xyz sensor.

change ALL the fluids, put Rotella in the engine.

Put 8mm Kingsborne wires and platinum plugs in the engine.

It will be good to go.

buy yourself an RSW solutions ABS amigo so you can fix the ABS issues as they arrise, could be a hub, sensor or the modulator.

they are reliable as any other 12 year old luxury vehicle.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
great vehicles if you can do the work yourself and plan on putting about $1500 into as soon as you buy it to bring it up too snuff. There are more economical and dependable vehicles to put your family into sorry to say.
I wish. We bought a one owner 2003 Discovery with 121K miles with service records and still ended up spending $5,500 in the first year. We would complete proactive maintenance item only to have three other things go wrong.

On our last items on our "proactive" maintenance list are the radiator, switch out Dex Cool, high pressure power steering line, the gray 180' thermostat and remaining coolant hoses.

2003 Discovery 127K with high miles services complete.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I really like mine, but it's my #3 vehicle. I wouldn't reccomend you get one if it's your main source of transportation. I've only owned mine since October of 11 and other than the 60k maintenance, I haven't had to do anything. I've only put 2k miles on it.

Quick Reply: Newbie!!! Im torn