Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newish member

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 03:36 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newish member

Not sure if there is a new member section I should post this in, so Mods if I need to be move go ahead and move me....

Hey Folks, new member from virginia. Well, new to ownership I should say- I signed up a few years ago but never got ahold of a Rover.
Picked up a 00 disco about a month ago, and it is a basket case.
Serious headliner leak, carpet is toast and back seats get wet. HGs haven't been done, but it drove home no overheating. Needs a battery, so the Sport mode light was on and it didnt go into 4th, and tres amigos are on...
Made it home with a ruptured brake line, impressive.
Rear of the frame from the shock towers back is toast, and it needs a windshield. AC didnt seem to work...
PO replaced the aif suspension with coil springs, and im pretty sure it has a lift on it.
I lucked out and it is a 7 seater, which works because I have 4 kids and a spouse.
Tires need replaced and I need to inspect the knuckles- never owned a SFA truck but I grew up in an FJ60 and have read dozens of Land Cruiser threads on knuckles....

Main issue ive had so far is the back door doesn't open. I took it apart, got it open, now it wont close...

Plan of operations:
-Water permiation resolution
-back door opening and closing issues
-Brake line
-Windshield
-Clean interior
-Fix exhaust leak
-Frame repair.
-extinct inline thermostat
-front driveshaft replacement

Mind you, this is my 4th car- I also have a '99 100 series, an 01 tundra and a 16 pilot.

The Land Cruiser has been my love for the past two years, but it needs a lot of maintenance as it is at 306k miles, and it has tags and a current inspection so it gets priority.

Anyways, glad to be here, here are some pics:

Last edited by ivbyiv; 06-23-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:43 PM
Drifting
Old 06-23-2022, 04:55 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

Welcome here. Yeah that frame looks like some of the Japanese 4x4’s that my son has had. I see you live in Virginia. Will Tillery roverguy.com may be the best source for used LR parts in North America and he’s in Virginia as well.

The following users liked this post:
ivbyiv (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 07:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

That is what we normally call a parts truck. Not sure what you paid for it but there are pretty nice examples sometimes available a little farther south for not bad money.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Welcome to the club! You've definitely got a long row to hoe on that one, but I'm all for saving one more from the crusher!

What part of VA? You will get some flack on that frame for your VA inspection. I'm down in Bristol. Technically TN now, but I can still almost spit on VA.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Harvlr
Welcome here. Yeah that frame looks like some of the Japanese 4x4’s that my son has had. I see you live in Virginia. Will Tillery roverguy.com may be the best source for used LR parts in North America and he’s in Virginia as well.
I have a knack for rusty green 4x4s. Other one was a crusty 100 series that was worse than this, which I ultimately parted out.
thanks for the source, haven’t heard of it

Originally Posted by Extinct
That is what we normally call a parts truck. Not sure what you paid for it but there are pretty nice examples sometimes available a little farther south for not bad money.
im in it $500 as of now so I’m willing to give it a go. I’d like to say I’ll get it done but it may take awhile

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Welcome to the club! You've definitely got a long row to hoe on that one, but I'm all for saving one more from the crusher!

What part of VA? You will get some flack on that frame for your VA inspection. I'm down in Bristol. Technically TN now, but I can still almost spit on VA.
I’m familiar with Bristol however I’m about 30 min northwest of Fredericksburg va, so other side of the state.
I am one to try and keep somewhat viable trucks from the scrap yard if at all possible.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

I figured that was the case. No mountains in the pictures.

Anyway, good luck with the Disco!

ivbyiv (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Warrenton? Gainesville?

ivbyiv (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dtmbinb
Warrenton? Gainesville?
Close, Im in Bealeton for now. Spend most of my time in Warrenton, Gainesville or Manassas

Old 06-24-2022, 06:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm in Ashburn if you need advice. Or, you can buy mine for $20k and be done. Lol.

ivbyiv (06-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Newish member