Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The next time someone complains about the reliability of Land Rover...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010 | 09:30 AM
|
Winching
Talking The next time someone complains about the reliability of Land Rover...

My Disco has NEVER let me down (of course, the maintenance is always up to date); including trekking through south Texas and northern Washington on game leases/hunts through very rough terrain. The next time someone complains about the reliability of Land Rover, they can simply read this:

TOKYO – Toyota Motor Corp. will recall 270,000 Lexus and other vehicles worldwide to fix faulty engines, the company said Friday, in the latest quality lapse by the world's No. 1 automaker.

Flaws in valve springs, a crucial engine component, could make the vehicle stall while it's moving, Toyota spokesman Hideaki Homma said Friday in announcing the recall.

Lexus General Manager Mark Templin said contaminated materials had been used for valve springs during manufacturing.

Toyota has received about 200 complaints over faulty engines in Japan but no accidents were reported there or abroad, Homma said. Some drivers told Toyota that engines made a strange noise.

The global recall that starts Monday affects seven luxury Lexus sedan models as well as the popular Crown, Toyota spokesman Paul Nolasco said. Of the 270,000 recalled cars, some 180,000 were sold overseas, including the United States, and 90,000 in Japan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100702/..._toyota_recall

Old 07-02-2010 | 10:01 AM
TReK

Amen brother.

Old 07-02-2010 | 10:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The difference is that Toyota steps up and take care of the problem. Land Rover igonores it. The consumer ends up paying the price. The '03 engines are a prime example. LR knew it had a problem in manufacturing but refused to issue a recall. They replaced some engines only if within warranty and only after prolonged and heated exchanges between the customer and LR. Then there is the head gasket issue, are you kidding me. I am unaware of any other vehicle where a head gasket is considered routine maintenance.

Porsche followed LR's lead on customer relations on the 993 (96 to 99 models) The SAI was poorly designed. It tended to clog with oily soot that later turned to hard carbon build up and closed off the SAI passages. The CEL then would go off and you couldn't smog your car. The fix, a $7,000 top end repair. Zero performance enhancement, but the light would then shut off and you could smog the car..........uuuugggggghhhhh.

It is a labor of love. I knew what I was getting into on my three Land Rovers. I got them at incredibly low prices, 99 $4000 owned for 3 years, 2000 $1000 owned 2 months and 2001 $4000 owned 1 year (really a great trouble free truck once I got a few of the kinks worked out) and they have all run pretty well (the 1999 is at the shop being fitted with a new/used tranny and it has a leaking head gasket, the 2000 will get a new head gasket next week, I knew it needed one when I bought it) and given me lots of together bonding time between me and my three kids, well mainly between me, the Land Rover Miramar parts guy, Atlantic British, British Pacific, the local recyclling yards, Kragen and of course, Disco Mike and Land Rover Forum.

I think that it is a sickness, I wonder if it will be covered by Obamacare?

Living large in San Diego!

Phil

Old 07-02-2010 | 07:23 PM
Team Owner

My Rover is the second most reliable car I have EVER owned, and I even bought a brand new Oldsmobile back in '95 and that car was in the shop more than anything ever.

Old 07-02-2010 | 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Your kidding me right???

Originally Posted by mwindth
My Disco has NEVER let me down (of course, the maintenance is always up to date); including trekking through south Texas and northern Washington on game leases/hunts through very rough terrain. The next time someone complains about the reliability of Land Rover, they can simply read this:

TOKYO – Toyota Motor Corp. will recall 270,000 Lexus and other vehicles worldwide to fix faulty engines, the company said Friday, in the latest quality lapse by the world's No. 1 automaker.

Flaws in valve springs, a crucial engine component, could make the vehicle stall while it's moving, Toyota spokesman Hideaki Homma said Friday in announcing the recall.

Lexus General Manager Mark Templin said contaminated materials had been used for valve springs during manufacturing.

Toyota has received about 200 complaints over faulty engines in Japan but no accidents were reported there or abroad, Homma said. Some drivers told Toyota that engines made a strange noise.

The global recall that starts Monday affects seven luxury Lexus sedan models as well as the popular Crown, Toyota spokesman Paul Nolasco said. Of the 270,000 recalled cars, some 180,000 were sold overseas, including the United States, and 90,000 in Japan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100702/..._toyota_recall

Your kidding me right?? What case of denial do you have? No mean or any intention implied but you are talking about the biggest POS power plant to get stuffed on americans...Why do you think they dont run them in england and run diesels...it a big piece of poopie.... and they new they where and didnt give a rats ***.... The majority of complaints are here in the forums from peope who buy $38,000.00 truck's for $5,000.00... what do you expect after someones wealthy wife and litter have virtually distroyed the thing and then turned it in to LR and then turned it over to you... sure some get lucky...maybe some house wife was on percaset and in a comma but these are slim to nun.... They are marketed to the wealthy...the ones who barley keep it 3 years and then get a new one.....I could beet a new car for 3 years and get away with nanda...." warranty" no out of pocket expenses......Hello.... unless you are capitan money bags or are a great home mechanic like Mike or spike and a few others i should mention.... and have absolutly nothing better than to work on the pile than drive it ..you have to be a idiot to own one...

Old 07-02-2010 | 08:32 PM
TReK

Vandev, you've had more issues with your Disco than half the forum combined. I've had my Disco for 3 years, Im not captain money bags, in fact Im a student, and I pay for everything myself. I had one issue at the very beginning with the crank position sensor. Since then, I have just changed oil and other fluids. Anything else that went wrong was a cheap DIY fix (im no mechanic) and on thing that broke was my own fault.

I know I can't be the only person here who has had a positive ownership experience.

Old 07-02-2010 | 08:54 PM
Mudding

People that don't have problems don't need sites like this so we don't hear about the problem free rigs only the bad ones.

Steve

Old 07-02-2010 | 09:07 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
I know I can't be the only person here who has had a positive ownership experience.
You aren't. I bought mine with a bad (see prior posts about definition of bad) engine, had it towed to my house, and installed a used engine. Since then, I have flushed the brake fluid and coolant (maintenance), changed all drivetrain lubricants (maintenance), replaced front and rear pads and rotors (maintenance), rebuild the front propshaft (maintenance), replaced the oxygen sensors (maintenance), and changed the oil every 4,000 miles (maintenance).

For fun, I installed an OEM brushguard, OEM driving lights with OEM light kit, removed running boards, installed '04 CDL shifter, and am replacing the rear axle breather to run into the engine bay per Urban Panzer's write up on his website.

The only time it has left me stranded was when I lost the key blade in the snow when it broke loose from the fob. It has never let me down, I have never had the three amigos, or a check engine light (other than after Sea Foam). I wouldn't hesitate to get in it tonight, and drive to California and back. If it didn't get such poor mileage, I would prefer to drive it to Florida when we take vacation instead of our 1999 Honda Accord.

I plan to drive it until I can no longer repair it, or I can no longer afford gas for it.

Old 07-02-2010 | 09:49 PM
Team Owner

They use diesel in the UK because gas is twice as much per gallon as diesel.
It is very popular to convert your gas engine to run on propane because propane is dirt cheap and most gas stations sell it.
Some countries they even sold 4 cylinder DI's, that engine is called the MPI (you think YOUR Disco is underpowered)
Ask Urban Panzer how much it costs to fill his DII sometime. (over $100 USD from empty)
Yes his trucks gets 28mpg with the TD5, and yes it is the exact same truck that you have that gets 15mpg, but he has a diesel.
They sold DI V8's with no cats up to the mid '90's in the UK but we cant get "dirty" diesels, makes no sense.

My ownership experience has been stellar, I bought a well maintained 1 owner with 152,change.
I have replaced the alternator, wheel bearings on all four wheels and all four u-joints.
Thats it, other than maintenance and wear and tear items.
I drove my truck to TX in May and never thought twice about it and I would drive it to Alaska right now if it was not bed time.

Old 07-03-2010 | 06:21 AM
Mudding

euro discos are in fact exempt from from any and all problems.... its science

Quick Reply: The next time someone complains about the reliability of Land Rover...