Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The next time someone complains about the reliability of Land Rover...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010 | 07:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default let me make it more clearly...

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
Vandev, you've had more issues with your Disco than half the forum combined. I've had my Disco for 3 years, Im not captain money bags, in fact Im a student, and I pay for everything myself. I had one issue at the very beginning with the crank position sensor. Since then, I have just changed oil and other fluids. Anything else that went wrong was a cheap DIY fix (im no mechanic) and on thing that broke was my own fault.

I know I can't be the only person here who has had a positive ownership experience.

Let me make it more clearly Cam... I am not syaing i dont like my truck...I actually like the layout some what...My RR was much more comfortable....What i am saying is the powerplant is a POS... If a car or truck's engine is at greatest risk...it's unreliable... read robinsons blog...it's the best information about the powerplant.

http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2...bout-land.html

Now if you can honestly tell me that if you knew american airlines was using these engines ...would you actually fly in one?

and how many other cars have you had to change the driveshaft? well yes driveshaft servicing..... "Lube"...but complete failing.....taking out tranny, torq. converter.. i mean give me a break....thats not engineering... Like i said before. house wifes never had to deal with this problem and the problems never killed anyone so who cared.....

Last edited by vandev; 07-03-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2010 | 09:23 AM
Rock Crawling

The wife and I fall squarely into the LR4 demographic. Rather than buy a new LR3 2 years ago, however, we opted to buy my previously enjoyed '03 to try the "Land Rover Experience" before committing the money for a new one.

The longest problem free stretch that I've had is 4 months. "Problem free" means that I've had no Amigos, CELs, and that it ran once started up. It doesn't factor in broken switches (and, now, broken lock cylinder), non working top mounted brake light which the inspection guy thankfully blew off, and an occasional insubordinate ignition switch.

At 48k the oil pump went (out of warranty). At 49k I was replacing the water pump and brakes/rotors. At 50k the 60k maintenance was necessary to clear ever present CELs. Needless to say that my first two months of ownership weren't positive...but I stuck it out. But I grew tired of its "eccentricities" at the 58k mark when I had to replace the head gaskets.

To date, including tires, brakes, preventative upgrades (ie. drive shaft) and oil changes, I've spent about $6000 to keep it going. This includes doing the head gasket swap myself. Mind you, I only paid $12,500 for the truck.

I now have zero confidence in the truck. The little things, combined with the imminent threat of another oil pump failure, means that I only drive it around town and to my nearby office. I've put less than 2,000 miles on it since xmas. My hobby car, an older convertible with nearly twice as many miles, is now my year round main ride.

The only reason I didn't trade it off this year (and it's probably worth more as a trade than an outright sell) is because of needed home improvements. However, next spring it'll be replaced by a new Tacoma come hell or high water. I've had enough.

I've no doubt that the Land Rover ad has it right when it boasts, "the best 4x4 by far." Unfortunately, the engineering, QA, and production teams settled for "that'll do."

So we've had the "Land Rover Experience" and, to us, it means something quite contrary to what their marketing group intended. Simply put, it entails opening our wallet and spending weekend after weekend in the garage turning wrenches.

Old 07-03-2010 | 11:00 AM
Three Wheeling

how many other cars have you had to change the driveshaft? well yes driveshaft servicing..... "Lube"...but complete failing.....taking out tranny, torq. converter.. i mean give me a break....thats not engineering...

My '86 Cougar xr7 Turbo 5spd, '89 Cougar xr7 SC 5spd, and Lincoln Mark VII LSC.... All the biggest pieces of "blank" I've ever owned. The '89 I had to stop 6 times on a trip to NC and re-lock tite and tighten the universal joint fasteners!!! It only had 7K miles on it!! It had 12K worth of warranty work done in the first year I owned it!!! All 3 spent more time at the dealer then in my drive. I even had the shifter come off in my hand on the '86 during a ride with a dealer tech when it was falling on it's face and spewing black smoke above 4K rpms... All three of these cars HAD CONSTANT LOOSE OR SELF REMOVING driveshafts, ate valve seals, multiple fuel pumps, lost syncro's or in the case of the mark bad torque converter, and developed rod knocks by the end of the first year. Yes, by the end of the first year! I drove them hard but never beat them. I've owned 36+ cars and these three Fords, my 944, and Audi by far have surpased my Saabs, LR, MG's and others as engineering disasters.....

Old 07-03-2010 | 12:33 PM
Winching

I have to say that I would not put my DI in the most reliable category but neither is it a POS. Seems about the same as any other 4x4 I have ever owned and that includes a 1981 CJ7, 1996 F-150, and 2003 F-350. I had to replace the UJ's in the 96 after they failed. Fortunately they didn't take out anything and I got it stopped pretty quick. Every car has something, some more than others, some less. In my opinion you can either b*%ch about it all day long or buy something else and fix it and pay for routine maintenance. Pick your poison. BTW I sunk thousands into my Jeep just like I have in my rover including an engine rebuild and a brand new Holley Four Barrel Carb.

Last edited by discomedic4; 07-03-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2010 | 12:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Finally....ugggg

Originally Posted by meltdowndave
The wife and I fall squarely into the LR4 demographic. Rather than buy a new LR3 2 years ago, however, we opted to buy my previously enjoyed '03 to try the "Land Rover Experience" before committing the money for a new one.

The longest problem free stretch that I've had is 4 months. "Problem free" means that I've had no Amigos, CELs, and that it ran once started up. It doesn't factor in broken switches (and, now, broken lock cylinder), non working top mounted brake light which the inspection guy thankfully blew off, and an occasional insubordinate ignition switch.

At 48k the oil pump went (out of warranty). At 49k I was replacing the water pump and brakes/rotors. At 50k the 60k maintenance was necessary to clear ever present CELs. Needless to say that my first two months of ownership weren't positive...but I stuck it out. But I grew tired of its "eccentricities" at the 58k mark when I had to replace the head gaskets.

To date, including tires, brakes, preventative upgrades (ie. drive shaft) and oil changes, I've spent about $6000 to keep it going. This includes doing the head gasket swap myself. Mind you, I only paid $12,500 for the truck.

I now have zero confidence in the truck. The little things, combined with the imminent threat of another oil pump failure, means that I only drive it around town and to my nearby office. I've put less than 2,000 miles on it since xmas. My hobby car, an older convertible with nearly twice as many miles, is now my year round main ride.

The only reason I didn't trade it off this year (and it's probably worth more as a trade than an outright sell) is because of needed home improvements. However, next spring it'll be replaced by a new Tacoma come hell or high water. I've had enough.

I've no doubt that the Land Rover ad has it right when it boasts, "the best 4x4 by far." Unfortunately, the engineering, QA, and production teams settled for "that'll do."

So we've had the "Land Rover Experience" and, to us, it means something quite contrary to what their marketing group intended. Simply put, it entails opening our wallet and spending weekend after weekend in the garage turning wrenches.

Finally, i knew i was not the only other person in LRdenial ....lets end the reliability subject... Its a great truck if you can afford to build half the truck again and have loads of free time....

Old 07-03-2010 | 12:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default sure...

Originally Posted by green machine
how many other cars have you had to change the driveshaft? well yes driveshaft servicing..... "Lube"...but complete failing.....taking out tranny, torq. converter.. i mean give me a break....thats not engineering...

My '86 Cougar xr7 Turbo 5spd, '89 Cougar xr7 SC 5spd, and Lincoln Mark VII LSC.... All the biggest pieces of "blank" I've ever owned. The '89 I had to stop 6 times on a trip to NC and re-lock tite and tighten the universal joint fasteners!!! It only had 7K miles on it!! It had 12K worth of warranty work done in the first year I owned it!!! All 3 spent more time at the dealer then in my drive. I even had the shifter come off in my hand on the '86 during a ride with a dealer tech when it was falling on it's face and spewing black smoke above 4K rpms... All three of these cars HAD CONSTANT LOOSE OR SELF REMOVING driveshafts, ate valve seals, multiple fuel pumps, lost syncro's or in the case of the mark bad torque converter, and developed rod knocks by the end of the first year. Yes, by the end of the first year! I drove them hard but never beat them. I've owned 36+ cars and these three Fords, my 944, and Audi by far have surpased my Saabs, LR, MG's and others as engineering disasters.....

Sure there are many other ...well all car or trucks are POS in one way or another...but LR's are famous for putting you without a ride and in the poor house .... You know , i have never even been in a cougar or lincon for that matter....

Old 07-03-2010 | 01:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by vandev
Sure there are many other ...well all car or trucks are POS in one way or another...but LR's are famous for putting you without a ride and in the poor house .... You know , i have never even been in a cougar or lincon for that matter....
My younger years...
Never owned another Ford.....

Old 07-03-2010 | 08:41 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by vandev
Finally, i knew i was not the only other person in LRdenial ....lets end the reliability subject... Its a great truck if you can afford to build half the truck again and have loads of free time....
No denial here, i've just never had any engine problems, no driveshaft problems, ect ect... I cant be in denial until it happens to me. For now, I love the disco, and I hope to continue to do so.

Old 07-04-2010 | 04:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default heemmmm..

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
No denial here, i've just never had any engine problems, no driveshaft problems, ect ect... I cant be in denial until it happens to me. For now, I love the disco, and I hope to continue to do so.

Can i borrow your's ???

Old 07-04-2010 | 05:31 PM
TReK

I don't mind it at all. I get work.

Quick Reply: The next time someone complains about the reliability of Land Rover...