Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Crank 04 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:29 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank 04 Discovery

I am working in Guyana, South America and I shipped my 04 Discovery here. There are no Land Rover dealers or mechanics here. I'm on my own with this one and I'm not much of a mechanic.

The other day I tried starting and got no crank. I had power and dash lights but when I turned the key, nothing. My dual optima batteries are ok. I have spark and I checked my inertia switch. Everything was ok. I checked the main ground to the body and it was not corroded or loose. I'm also assuming it's not my XYZ switch since I had no crank even though I have been having problems with my limp home mode activating and the Manual and Sport lights coming on when shifting into Drive and Reverse but this I think is a seperate issue.

So after a few minutes I tried starting again and it started. Then later in the day it wouldn't crank again. This time my radio, front and rear wipers and front washer wouldn't work either. Now today same issues plus my rear parking lights and my front fog lights don't work as well as my spot lights don't work which are on a switch on my bezel.

I'm assuming this is an electrical problem and am wondering if it could be my fuse panel or my Body Control Unit malfunctioning. Any help would definately be appreciated as I am all alone on this and I feel like I'm at the end of the world.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Ed Davis
Philadelphia, PA

Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 PM
4wd Low
Default No Crank 04 Discovery

I am working in Guyana, South America and I shipped my 04 Discovery here. There are no Land Rover dealers or mechanics here. I'm on my own with this one and I'm not much of a mechanic.

The other day I tried starting and got no crank. I had power and dash lights but when I turned the key, nothing. My dual optima batteries are ok. I have spark and I checked my inertia switch. Everything was ok. I checked the main ground to the body and it was not corroded or loose. I'm also assuming it's not my XYZ switch since I had no crank even though I have been having problems with my limp home mode activating and the Manual and Sport lights coming on when shifting into Drive and Reverse but this I think is a seperate issue.

So after a few minutes I tried starting again and it started. Then later in the day it wouldn't crank again. This time my radio, front and rear wipers and front washer wouldn't work either. Now today same issues plus my rear parking lights and my front fog lights don't work as well as my spot lights don't work which are on a switch on my bezel.

I'm assuming this is an electrical problem and am wondering if it could be my fuse panel or my Body Control Unit malfunctioning. Any help would definately be appreciated as I am all alone on this and I feel like I'm at the end of the world.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Ed Davis
Philadelphia, PA

Old 12-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I hope you have the RAVE downloaded, as YOU are the only Rover mechanic in the region.

1. See attached electrical diagram, which is like an old fashioned map.

2. See the starter relay, (relay 2) it gets 12 volts from the fuse, but the BCU supplies the ground to energize the relay and turn over the starter.

3. The ECU supplies grounds to turn on the main relay, and the fuel pump relay (relay 1). Fuel pump shuts off after 30 seconds if truck does not crank.

4. You can swap relays or remove a relay and jumper the power connections to test the starter.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 crank.PDF (597.0 KB, 418 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 relays and fuases.PDF (456.4 KB, 198 views)
Old 12-21-2011, 04:09 PM
4wd Low

OK. So I jumped a positive wire from my fuel pump relay to my starter motor relay and it starts. I also jumped a negative from my fuel pump relay to my starter motor negative and it started as well but I took this one out. I think my starter motor is fine.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

So when you turn the key, nothing? Do you have a red LED blinking or on solid on the dash when it does this?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:16 PM
4wd Low

Good question. I will have to check that in the morning. Are you thinking alarm system?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:17 PM
4wd Low

I have to say you guys are great. I literally posted this thread less than half hour ago and you guys are already responding. Thanks for the support.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM
4wd Low

Do you have any other ideas since it is not my starter? Could this be my in dash fuse box since I'm also having issues with wipers, washers, radio, lights at the same time as the no crank? I should also say that the above issues are on and off. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't but this all started the same day as the no cranking.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Underhood fuse box also has fuse links that run groups of fuses inside the truck. Easy to check them all, look for loose connections (they bolt down), corrosion, etc., also check wires that terminate on lugs inside the front of the fusebox under the hood.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 PM
4wd Low

I took the underhood fuse box out and took it apart, put it back to together and tightened all connections.

Quick Reply: No Crank 04 Discovery