Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 05:13 PM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default No crank no start

Hi Land rover community.
I have a 2003 Disco 2. The other day, i moved my girl around to load some gear. After parking and loading her up for the weekend, I left the rear door open for a couple hours. When I returned, I tried staring her up. No crank, no start. The dash lit up as normal. I can hear a click in the dash. I can hear the click in my shifter. Every thing acts normally, except that there is no cranking.
I figured I had a bad battery as it's not the first time my battery went dead. But a brand new battery did not help.
I tried tapipng the starter, but that didn't help.
I cant tell if my disco has the immobilizer. But I am using the key fob to lock and unlock. I tried the 1515 code. But either I'm not doing it correctly or there is no immobilizer. But nothing happens. No sounds, the red dash light doesn't blink differently.
I'm thinking the starter died. But do starters due all of a sudden or slowly? I'm having her towed to a mechanic tomorrow. I called my local LR dealer. But they don't want to work on it because she's too old
I checked the fuses. But don't know how to check the relay
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:55 PM
4th Gear

Yesterday I got a call from the shop saying that my rover started after they put her in neutral and co tonued to start fine after that. I drove her home and she started up a few times today. I drove to the gym. And she did the no crank no start again in the parking lot.
I've tried several times moving from park to neutral sna starting to no avail

Any ideas?

Old 04-13-2022, 06:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I wonder if the neutral safety switch might not be engaging reliably?

Did you say jumping the starter did not make it crank though? If jumping the starter relay manually didn't turn the motor over then you've got a bad starter.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:10 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Mine does this sometimes. Check the gear indicator lights on the shift bezel. If your XYZ switch is slightly out of alignment, you might be physically in park but the computers don't detect it, and the shift light will be in the wrong place.

If this is the problem, give the back of the shift lever a thump and the park light should register. You may have to turn the truck off and back on, or even remove the key, for it to come right, but eventually things should come right. And then adjust your XYZ so that the problem is solved more permanently.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (04-15-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 05:31 PM
4th Gear

So today, I figured I would try to recreate yesterday. My Landy started up fine. I drove around for 20 minutes and parked in front of my place. And shut her off. Waited a couple minutes and she started right up. I set a 2 hour time. And after 2 hours, no crank no start.

banged on the shifter a few times and tried moving it around. Still no go. With the key out of the ignition, I tried jumping the starter solenoid. But due to the angle, all it did was spark. No crank. But when I tried starting with the key, she turned right over and started.

I'm guessing starter? Or starter solenoid?
​​​​​​​any tips on getting the heat shield off to get to the starter?

Old 04-14-2022, 01:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,277 Likes on 897 Posts

You can easily bend the heat shield out of the way, plenty if clearance for removal, or it unbolts from engine motor mount bracket, 10mm nut.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts

I found this video helpful for understanding where to find the 10mm nut:

Old 04-15-2022, 07:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Have you done what mollusc described to check the XYZ switch (aka the neutral safety switch or selector position switch)? I would sure do that before replacing the starter. The BCU won't allow the starter to work if it can't "see" that the transmission is in Park or Neutral. The BCU's "eyes" to see is the XYZ switch. It's also the BCU that sends signals to the instrument cluster and the shifter bezel that display what gear has been selected. If PRND321 does not display correctly when the shifter is moved through it's range that indicates a problem with the XYZ switch. It may need just a simple adjustment, or it may need to be taken apart and cleaned, or replaced.

Checking the XYZ is simple, and if it's the problem it could be a $0 solution. Let us know whether or not PRND321 is displaying correctly. If not, we can share with you how to adjust it.

The following users liked this post:
cappedup (04-30-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 12:43 PM
4th Gear

Hi All,
Thank you for all the advice. I followed your guidance to check the XYZ switch, and that seemed fine. The PRND123 on the dash was fine. After that, I crawled under my rover and jumped the starter solenoid, and she started right up. I could repeat the test multiple times. Drive around, let sit, No Crank. Jump the starter solenoid and she started up. Over the weekend, I replaced the starter and the issue seems resolved.

Thanks for everything. I hope I can contribute to the forum as much as some of you do.

The following 2 users liked this post by KenRamey:
cappedup (04-30-2022), JohnZo (04-25-2022)