Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No crank, no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 04:19 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No crank, no start

Hi All,

Wading through days of forums on this topic so will give as much info as I can in the hope some superstar can help!

I have a 2003 Disco 2 manual that out of the blue will not crank and therefor will not start.

Initially I thought it must be the battery because we nearly took the existing one to the brink recently due to a fuel pump issue. I replaced the battery and no crank.

The immobiliser is deactivated in this vehicle.

I can bump/hill start it no problem.

There is no click when I turn the key to crank.

FYI I have another identical disco 2 on hand that I could use to transfer any fuses etc to rule anything out.

Thanks in advance.

M

Old 01-27-2020, 03:38 PM
7th Gear

Nudge

Old 01-27-2020, 03:48 PM
4wd Low

If there is no click and the battery is good then it is likely the starter solenoid. Have you taken a meter to the solenoid field wire to see if it is getting 12v when you turn the key?

The following users liked this post:
Martin Shields (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 04:00 PM
7th Gear

Daft question: Is this something I can do with the solenoid in situ or does it need to be removed?

Old 01-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

If it will run after dropping the clutch, it must be an issue with the starting circuit. A few things to check...
  • Trace the heavy cable connections at the battery and the starter to confirm that they are clean and tight.
  • Check the fusible link F13 under the hood.
  • Swap the starter relay R2 fuel pump relay R1 and try the key again.
  • Down on the starter solenoid, confirm that you have good voltage at the post for the heavy gauge wire running from the battery. Then run a jumper from the smaller blade connection on the solenoid and briefly touch it to the + bat terminal. If the starter doesn't move, you need a new starter. If it does, the trouble is somewhere further up the line. Fuse, relay, ignition switch, etc.
Let us know what you find.

Martin Shields (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 04:11 PM
7th Gear

Great stuff. I'll get on this list first thing....

Old 01-27-2020, 04:29 PM
7th Gear

So curiosity got the better of me. Short story: I grabbed my coat, torch and laptop with your post and the fuse diagram outside and tried taking F12 and F13 from my working disco and it started first time.

Long story and perhaps a head scratcher, the one I'm having issues with has been missing f12 for a while.I just thought it was the headlamp switch but turns out it was the starter motor switch as well. Strangely it's been starting for quite a while without that fuse?

Anyway, thanks a million for the tips chaps.

M

cvhyatt (01-28-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 07:12 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Red5
If it will run after dropping the clutch, it must be an issue with the starting circuit. A few things to check...
  • Trace the heavy cable connections at the battery and the starter to confirm that they are clean and tight.
  • Check the fusible link F13 under the hood.
  • Swap the starter relay R2 fuel pump relay R1 and try the key again.
  • Down on the starter solenoid, confirm that you have good voltage at the post for the heavy gauge wire running from the battery. Then run a jumper from the smaller blade connection on the solenoid and briefly touch it to the + bat terminal. If the starter doesn't move, you need a new starter. If it does, the trouble is somewhere further up the line. Fuse, relay, ignition switch, etc.
Let us know what you find.
So I ordered a few new fuses and when I popped them in it cranked and began to start but the process blew 2 fuses. hope it's a simple fix but any thoughts on why this could be?

Old 02-01-2020, 07:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Could also be the neutral safety switch. Is it still called that in a manual? Clutch switch? The switch that activates when the clutch is depressed so it knows it can crank, that way it won't crank if the clutch is engaged. I always bypass them so I can crank with the clutch engaged. Comes in handy sometimes.

If it is starting without a required fuse in place then someone has had this issue before and bypassed the fuse somewhere. If the electrical has been messed with you'll have to trace it back and find out where which will be fun. Personally I'd probably just run a new wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid and call it a day. I'd be sure to solder/heat shrink the wire to the ring terminal on the solenoid end at the very least to keep the weather out and prevent corrosion. The ignition switch probably could be crimped, but solder and heat shrink there is never a bad idea either.

Last edited by Alex_M; 02-01-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:11 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Could also be the neutral safety switch. Is it still called that in a manual? Clutch switch? The switch that activates when the clutch is depressed so it knows it can crank, that way it won't crank if the clutch is engaged. I always bypass them so I can crank with the clutch engaged. Comes in handy sometimes.

If it is starting without a required fuse in place then someone has had this issue before and bypassed the fuse somewhere. If the electrical has been messed with you'll have to trace it back and find out where which will be fun. Personally I'd probably just run a new wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid and call it a day. I'd be sure to solder/heat shrink the wire to the ring terminal on the solenoid end at the very least to keep the weather out and prevent corrosion. The ignition switch probably could be crimped, but solder and heat shrink there is never a bad idea either.
Thanks Alex. This is an island car that never leaves and never goes out of 2nd gear so difficult to get it to someone with the right skills for your idea although my neighbour would surely give it a bash!

For info, it doesn't start without a fuse but it did do for a while which was baffling. Just realised the link fuses I ordered were labelled air suspension but given they are both 30amp I assume they can be used elsewhere that requires 30amp.

Going to order a few more and see if anyone has any thoughts on why its blowing when cranking.

M