Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No grease nipples on 04 D2 driveshafts -- is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 05:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Front shaft ALWAYS goes bad.
Rear shaft is pretty bulletproof as long as you grease it. Sometimes the rotoflex at the diff side of the rear shaft goes bad, but that is usually when the truck has off-roaded a lot.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks.

On further inspection, there are the plugs for all four three points -- front and rear slip joints, front and rear single u-joints.

However, no nipples. If I were a betting man, I would guess that the dealer removed them after servicing in order to force the previous owner to keep coming back (until he slipped a sleeve and then gave it to my son, the prior owner had ALL work done at the dealer -- something like $20 grand worth of work over 10 years).

I am going to rebuild them over summer, in the meantime want to grease them. The plugs on the slip joints were 1/4", however holes for zerks on the u-joints are really small -- smaller than 3/16".

Anybody have any idea what size zerk fittings I need. Are they metric? The holes are way smaller than a 6mm, which are the only ones I could find.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Does the shaft go bad or just the u-joints? It seems like you just need u-joints that are greasable. You should learn to change u-joints anyway. When they wear out or fail, change them. Carry spares. It's an essential skill for Rover owners.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by austinlandroverbill
Thanks.

On further inspection, there are the plugs for all four three points -- front and rear slip joints, front and rear single u-joints.

However, no nipples. If I were a betting man, I would guess that the dealer removed them after servicing in order to force the previous owner to keep coming back (until he slipped a sleeve and then gave it to my son, the prior owner had ALL work done at the dealer -- something like $20 grand worth of work over 10 years).

I am going to rebuild them over summer, in the meantime want to grease them. The plugs on the slip joints were 1/4", however holes for zerks on the u-joints are really small -- smaller than 3/16".

Anybody have any idea what size zerk fittings I need. Are they metric? The holes are way smaller than a 6mm, which are the only ones I could find.
Take the plug off and reuse one of the existing zerks. Once you have greased one area, take off the zerk again and move to the next plug. Adding zerks will put the shaft out of balance. Once you have finished greasing the shaft, put the zerks back in their original spots and same with the plugs.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

The zerks on the slip joint are standard 1/4".

There are no zerks on the u-joints: just really small threaded threaded holes where they should be.

It won't accept a 1/4" or even a 3/16" zerk, so I am asking whether anyone knows what size these might be.

I am sure that the dealer who serviced this car for 10 years before we got it took them off to keep the previous owner from "cheating" on them and getting the greasing done at a cheaper lube shop. Does anyone else have experience with that being standard operating procedure by LR dealers