Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018 | 08:41 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default No Heat

So, like many people, the single digit temps are impacting my rover. After reading all the posts, I thought I would throw my hat in the ring for an opinion.

The vehicle heated up fine, got to operating temp in the expected amount of time. However, warm air never came out of any vents.

In the past, if i put the temp to "max", i do not get as hot air as if i only set it to 84 degrees. Also, the vents to do not put out consistent air temps, the front vent may be much warmer than the foot or window vent.

Any thoughts on where to start?

One other question, my power steering was painfully loud this morning, likely due to cold. Is there something that needs to be done?

Thanks,

Old 01-02-2018 | 08:50 AM
Pro Wrench

Bleed it.

Park it on a hill, heat on high, undo the screw on the t fitting.

This is one of the most common faults, also one of the main reasons for an overheat.

You may want to replace your thermostat too if you haven't in awhile.

Old 01-02-2018 | 08:50 AM
Pro Wrench

Where are you located in Jersey?

Old 01-02-2018 | 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redrover75
So, like many people, the single digit temps are impacting my rover. After reading all the posts, I thought I would throw my hat in the ring for an opinion.

The vehicle heated up fine, got to operating temp in the expected amount of time. However, warm air never came out of any vents.

In the past, if i put the temp to "max", i do not get as hot air as if i only set it to 84 degrees. Also, the vents to do not put out consistent air temps, the front vent may be much warmer than the foot or window vent.

Any thoughts on where to start?

One other question, my power steering was painfully loud this morning, likely due to cold. Is there something that needs to be done?

Thanks,
Remove your heater hoses & reverse flush out the heater core. I literally just did this yesterday! I had calcium deposits in my heater core from the previous owner using more water vs coolant. 230K on my D2 so no biggie. I bought 5ft of 5/8 heater hose, cut off the old heater hoses taking care not to tug on the heater core lines (you DO NOT want to damage the heater core lines/O-Rings). Flushed out the heater core backwards to push the crap out vs thru it, removed the 8mm bolt securing the second heater metal line to the other, carefully rotated it out of the way, cleaned off the metal line ends, slid the 5/8 line on it with a little WD40 to make it slid on easier, then I cut to fit the line. I did not put the heater core lines back into their OEM criss cross pattern. I went with the RRC setup straight in/out. Once done with the inner line rotate the outer lane back into position, and re-install the 8mm bolt, then slid the outer 5/8 hose on, and cut to fit as well. Secure them up with new hose clamps, and boom you’re done.When flushing the core I’d run it backwards at first and let it flow until it’s good and clear then flush the other way for good measure. After that run the D2 and check for any leaks, you should start getting heat, and the in/out hoses will be warm (I checked mine before I did any work and only one was warm. The other line was stone cold). Also for maximum heat make sure ECON mode is selected so the AC compressor doesn’t run. While my heater core was clogged I had zero cooling issues, just zero heat.

Last edited by Best4x4; 01-02-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2018 | 10:38 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Hearer

The thermostat is about a year old, the lower temp one. I replaced almost the entire cooling system last year. Knock on wood.

It worked fine last week, coolant level is consistent, knock on wood. I wonder if somehow it froze?

I am in the Princeton area.

Old 01-02-2018 | 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

The thermostat is about a year old, the lower temp one. I replaced almost the entire cooling system last year. Knock on wood.

It worked fine last week, coolant level is consistent, knock on wood. I wonder if somehow it froze?

I am in the Princeton area.
It’s a clogged core man, no biggie.

Old 01-02-2018 | 11:08 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Best4x4
It’s a clogged core man, no biggie.
+1 I had the same issue

Old 01-02-2018 | 11:53 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default plugged core

It is funny, every once in a while, i read about someones repair and i think "maybe i should do that, it sounds simple enough".

Then BAM! i get the same problem.

It does not sound too complicated, except for the outside temp.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-02-2018 | 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

It is funny, every once in a while, i read about someones repair and i think "maybe i should do that, it sounds simple enough".

Then BAM! i get the same problem.

It does not sound too complicated, except for the outside temp.

Thanks for the advice.
Yep if you grab the 4-5ft of 5/8 coolant/heater hose, 4 new clamps, the hardest part will be removing the old stuck on hoses. It’s a 20min fix, but yes a garage is a must.

Old 01-02-2018 | 12:37 PM
Drifting

I just had the core flushed on my '04. Instead of trying to f-ck things up myself, I brought it to an import service center in town. Only cost me $125. Well worth it for heat and no headaches.

Quick Reply: No Heat