Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more emissions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 AM
BIG
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more emissions

I've been kicking around the idea of using my Disco as an off road vehicle only. I have an 03 with tons of emissions equipment. Does anyone have experience with removing all the emissions equipment? Is this possible without replacing the ECM? Just curious. I know o2 sensors determine gas usage. My idea to resolve this is to splice a diode in place of the sensor to send the correct signal. I've done this on the later model Trans Ams and Cameros to fix the skip shift issue, but this is not a TA or Camero. Ideas/opinions? Thought this might be a good topic for discussion.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will need to find the right readings. If you go through this to fake out the computer, please write it down and post for others. If it is going to be offroad only, and you can fake the ECU, I don't see any harm.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 AM
BIG
Drifting

If I remember right .1 is lean and .9 is rich so I'm guessing .5. Alot of research to do before I would ever attempt this, but I like the idea. What other sensors would be involved besides the o2?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes people have done it. The posts are usually a cluster F#@k because people get upset that the person is killing the earth. Search for posts on dweb just don't get banned.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You could look in to ripping out everything and installing a new intake with a carb.
A lot of people have done it on D1's, don't know about DII's.

If it were me, I'd seriously consider selling the DII and getting a D1 for an off-road only truck. Most of the DII suspension & drivetrain changes from the D1 were to make them better on-road.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, why make an 03 a off road vehicle, you have no CDL and a questionable engine, depending on your vin number?
Second, you can't do what you want if for only one reason, you need that ECU and without it your tranny won't shift.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM
BIG
Drifting

I know I need the ECU for the tranny. I wasn't considering getting rid of the ecu, simply "tricking" it so that I could bypass the o2 sensors and other emissions equipment. It's only a thought. That's why I asked.
Is the suspension really that much different from a D1? i have changed the shocks, steering, and springs. I know I don't have the cdl, but I would bet there are lockers available out there somewhere for this rear end.
It's beginning to sound like I should be searching for a D1.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Mudding

Yeah bro don't butcher a D2, a ready to go off road vehicle it is not, but with some minor (expensive) modifications it can be a great compromise. Sell it, get a D1 and butcher that up. Besides why do you want to get rid of the emissions stuff anyway?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah sell the '03 and get a d1 you can find them cheap and from what I can tell so far they are much easier to work on...full floating axles! thats enough reason to buy one for off-road right there

Old 09-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The DI was built for off road and then on road.
The DII was built for on road and then off road.

If you break a axle shaft on a DI you can remove it, put the wheel back on and drive it home, on a DII you cannot do that.
That is one of the many advantages of having a DI for off roading.
And like Nitetrain said, full floating axles, the DII does not have them, the DI does.
And without a CDL lockers will not work.

The front O2's you can leave alone, those are the ones that control fueling, the rears so nothing more than tell the ecu that the cats are working.
The trans has its own ecu, as does the windows, locks, sunroofs...
The trans ecu is under the drivers seat, so if you get stuck in deep water you wont be driving home.

If you want a trail rig then buy a '95 or '96, cut off the cats and call it good. (they only have front O2's)
To trick the rear O2's you just have to figure out which wires are sending the signal to the ecu and splice them together.
Then they will always send a "good" signal and you will not get a CEL for bad rear O2's.
But if you are going to run a trail rig only then who cares about a CEL?

Quick Reply: No more emissions