Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start, m&s flashing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016 | 11:50 PM
Mudding

Somebody ****ed that dog. Can't say I've every personally seen a broken timing _chain_ before. Either it's a seriously defective part or somebody screwed it up during install. I'd say that valve damage is very likely. Based on what I've seen with the Rover V8's, you may well be able to salvage the shortblock without rework, but the heads are going to need some love, particularly since the backstory is that they were driving when it failed.

Last edited by squirt; 09-10-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:35 AM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by squirt
Somebody ****ed that dog. Can't say I've every personally seen a broken timing _chain_ before. Either it's a seriously defective part or somebody screwed it up during install. I'd say that valve damage is very likely. Based on what I've seen with the Rover V8's, you may well be able to salvage the shortblock without rework, but the heads are going to need some love, particularly since the backstory is that they were driving when it failed.
I haven't pulled the upper plenum in order to pull the valve covers, but I have seen snapped chains due to rockers or pushrods getting out of whack. Of course that was in 1,000hp turbo motors with a crap ton of valve spring pressure...

By the way, you were supposed to say "no, the valves most likely didn't hit the pistons so you are probably good!".

Guess I need a good timing set, roller preferred if they have them fornthis motor, head gaskets, some head work or head replacement, etc.

Damn bad choice in my kids first vehicle.

Old 09-11-2016 | 05:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Squid4life
Less than 2k on a new Cannibal motor supposedly.
Perhaps the sticky about Cannibal V8 will be useful to you.

I almost wrote in my post above "I bet you have a broken timing chain," but figured you would find the cause, whatever it may be.

You are correct: you need to pull the heads to check for damage, and above all else, try to determine why the chain broke.

Good luck in your repairs; this could still be a great truck for the boy! And keep us posted.

Old 09-11-2016 | 11:58 PM
|
Drifting

Well, as it was said earlier "timing chains don't just break", but they sure break when the oil pump cover screws back out and make contact...

I guess whoever assembled it has never heard of loctite or "staking".

Got a handful of bent valves as a result.

Should I check the mains and rods to make sure nothing got sucked up? Pickup screen was clean an not much in the oil or pan.

Old 09-12-2016 | 12:01 AM
|
Drifting
Old 09-12-2016 | 12:13 AM
|
Drifting

On a plus side, if the bottom end is ok, the motor is very fresh and clean. Good cross hatch lines, new rocker shafts, new valvesprings and seals, new cam and lifter and it has only just started "wearing in".

Old 09-12-2016 | 03:01 PM
Mudding

Did the previous owner pay you to take it? He should have. That's a mess for what appears to be a nicely done engine. D*

Old 09-12-2016 | 04:29 PM

That's a real bummer Squid4life. The bottom end should be OK but clean and checkout all the pistons for any cracks and also the bores for scoring. The top end and valves are likely to be messed and bent unless you are real lucky.

Replace all those CS allen head screws with CS caphead screws and clean them and put threadlock on them.

Sorry to say you have your work cutout on this one, good luck.

Old 09-12-2016 | 10:10 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by d.a.r.y.l
Did the previous owner pay you to take it? He should have. That's a mess for what appears to be a nicely done engine. D*
haha, yeah, I wish. He was not very truthful at all but I will let karma deal with him. I let him know I am pretty certain he was dishonest, especially since there was proof of a prior recent compression test. I will let him know what I end up having to spend on parts and machine work, remind him it's my kids first vehicle, and give him the opportunity to make it right, even a little bit.

All in all, not a great deal but couting all the additional mods/ parts I may be ok in the end. Here is my short list:

2004 Discovery II HSE
85k on chassis
New 4.6 Cannibal high compression motor, ~1,800 miles
Coated exhaust manifolds
Brand new BFG Mud terrains (5) 285/75/16 (31.5")
On new steelies
ARB front bumper
Warn VR 10k winch
Overland roof rack and ladder
Terrafirma 3" lift
Stainless braided brake lines
Aftermarket driveshafts
Terrafirma caster correct front radius arms
Terrafirma steering stabilizer
Terrafirma HD front shock turrets & spring securing rings
Terrafirma front sway bar disco's
Terrafirma front & rear diff guards
Chromoly axles shafts all the way around
LED interior lights
New fuel pump
New crank pos sensor
New secondary air hoses and pipes
K&N panel air filter

In the cargo area:
New drilled and slotted rotors
New brake pads
New HD (solid) steering arms
New HD (solid) tie rod
New tie rod ends
Spare ECM
Spare fuel pump

Old 09-12-2016 | 10:14 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
That's a real bummer Squid4life. The bottom end should be OK but clean and checkout all the pistons for any cracks and also the bores for scoring. The top end and valves are likely to be messed and bent unless you are real lucky.

Replace all those CS allen head screws with CS caphead screws and clean them and put threadlock on them.

Sorry to say you have your work cutout on this one, good luck.

The lazy/time saver part of me wants to check the pistons from top and underneath, and check for scoring by rotating it over by hand. I really didn't want to have to pull the motor...

I am in military base housing and am way limited on space. Before moving here I sold my cherry picker and engine stands, and here in Hawaii they are hard to come by due to shipping...

Ugh... Wonder if I can check it well enough or if I should pull the motor???

Quick Reply: No start, m&s flashing.