Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start, no fuel pump, codes P1538 and P0562 after major overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 04:26 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default No start, no fuel pump, codes P1538 and P0562 after major overhaul

Good day all, I have one here that I just can't diagnose. It's 2000 D2 with 155,000 miles, and I just finished the head gasket job. The truck got a set of overhauled heads (local), head gaskets (Elring), new rockers/shafts (Britpart), new lifters (Atlantic British), new fuel injectors (overhauled, cleaned), new coil packs (Bosch), plugs (Bosch DP) and plug wires (STI), and of course all seals/gaskets changed while it was all apart (Atlantic British). I do these things as methodically as possible and triple check each step, so I am 92.6% sure that I didn't leave off any connectors or pinch any wires. I renewed as much wire conduit as possible with level of access that I had. However the truck was sitting idle for almost three weeks while this process was in work. I sucessfully cranked engine to build up oil pressure. Installed spark plugs and cranked without a hint of ignition. Fuel pump definintely not pumping, no pump sound. Checked and verified that there is spark. Definitely no fuel pressure. If I clear the faults and turn key on to position 2, no active faults. I start cranking and thats when the P1538 drive cycle A and P0562 drive cycle A codes come up as persistent. Battery less than a year old and just receved a full charge after the initial cranking. Checked plug on CKPS and it's in, the CKPS is 3 months old (Bosch). I guess I am looking for a common fail point for these two codes, and a link that would cause the fuel pump to not spin up once the key it turned. I was going to throw a fuel pump at it, but I checked the PO's maintenence receipts and it was changed about a year ago. Swapped in a known good fuel pump relay and no change. Any suggestions or advise on this would greatly be a appreciated. I should mention that I checked the ground at back of the LH cylinder head and the resistanace was minimal, and both fuse boxes looked normal, for what it's worth. Thanks!

Rhys Legge

P0562 after start attempt

P1538 after start attempt

Old 06-26-2020, 06:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

If you have spark, l'd go directly to the fuel pump circuitry. Do you have power at relay? I'd try jumping the relay, putting power to the pump and see what happens. There is an access panel under the carpet in the rear, for checking for power back there. Might have had a varmint chew the harness or something?

Old 06-26-2020, 06:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by The Deputy
If you have spark, l'd go directly to the fuel pump circuitry. Do you have power at relay? I'd try jumping the relay, putting power to the pump and see what happens. There is an access panel under the carpet in the rear, for checking for power back there. Might have had a varmint chew the harness or something?
Thats a good point, i'll check that. Do you think there is any chance that would have a hand in generating the codes I mentioned? Thanks!

Rhys Legge

Old 06-28-2020, 04:31 PM
Mudding

No dice on the fuel pump being the cause. I checked the pump with an external supply and got a good spin. No sign of the wiring being chewed up either. Going to go back under the hood and re-check all the earth points, maybe wire brush battery contacts. This one is starting to brain my damage.

Rhys L.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:59 PM
Mudding
Default End of rope

Ok, I'm back at it after a week of troubleshooting, and I'm right back where I started. I've had a new battery, as old one was a bit week, a new inertia switch, old one was original, I've troubleshot the wiring from the fuse box to the fuel pump and all is good. I tested the fuel pump with 12 volts again and it works. I'm still getting the same two fault codes, I've checked all my grounds and cleaned/re seated them. Checked every cannon plug in the engine bay. Getting good spark at each plug, and the nanocom is showing 160 rpm when I crank the engine, so I ruled out the ckps. The ckps was changed about 3-4 months ago with a Bosch unit. If anyone put there has an idea that I haven't thought of yet and it helps me out, I'll buy you a drink. Thanks!

Rhys L.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:48 PM
Mudding

Just an update, not that it will be of much use but still, here we go. The faults and lack of fuel pump power was caused by a broken wire in the main engine harness between the engine relay/fuse box and the ECU. Proving once again the value of a good rover guy being local, he was able to diagnose and re-harness the truck in a single morning. It was impractical to dig out the old broken wire, so he ran a new one. Anyway, that solves that, on to the next, and will need to properly mark the wire for future trouleshooting precaution.

Rhys Legge

The following users liked this post:
XRAD (07-10-2020)