Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No transfer case neutral warning light/buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts
Default No transfer case neutral warning light/buzzer

I did a search on the forum and found nothing relating to my minor issue.
Yesterday, while waiting in line at a drive-through, I decided to move the transfer case lever through all positions, since I hadn't done that in about a month. I put the transmission in neutral, and slid the transfer case lever forward into low, then to the left to lock it. The CDL light on the dash came on like normal. While locked, I moved the lever back into locked high range, then to the right to unlock, and the CDL light went out. All perfectly normal.

However, I realised there was something missing. I moved the lever forward, into neutral, and the neutral warning light and buzzer did not come on like in all times previous. Everything else is working as intended: CDL light comes on when it should, HDC light comes on when engaged, TC light comes on during bulb check. I don't remember if the transfer case neutral light ever came on during initial bulb check, but it doesn't self test, or come on when transfer case is in neutral.

This is not a big issue for me, as I know when the transfer case is in gear or neutral by feel. The transfer case neutral switch wasn't even included in all models, according to RAVE. I admit, I haven't gotten underneath to make sure switch hasn't come unplugged, or tested the switch (normally open, grounding when closed). Fuse 21 in passenger compartment box ohms out good.

Anyone else run into this? I'm not terribly concerned, and most likely won't get around to testing the switch for some time, as RF door actuator, tail door subwoofer replacement, and RR door high range speaker replacement are more pressing.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:11 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No transfer case neutral warning light/buzzer

I am having the exact opposite problem my warning light and bulb go off the ENTIRE time i am in low and it drives me nuts!!!! My money is on the transfer case neutral warning sensor, i am going to hop under the truck and see if it is loose or dirty, but if i do in fact need a replacement they cost about 450 $ so i dunno, i may just tough out the annoying dinging. I wish my problem was more like to yours :P Did you ever figure it out?