Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise from Engine

Old 12-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default noise from Engine

Noticed last 2 days there is this Turbine like noise coming out of Pulley/AC area. after close inspection it seem like around the AC and Pulley below it. The noise goes up as I rev the engine.

I sprayed little WD40 on the AC and the pulley below to see if anything changes, nothing. Before I took a part of the fan areas wanted to see if anyone have any opinion. Water Pump is a year old, Belt looks good

If I were to replace pulleys just to get that out of the way. what are the part numbers and where have you gotten them.

Thanks for your help in advance

Last edited by sayeedA; 12-29-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:14 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought the kit from Atlantic British that also had a new tensioner on it. Not cheap but I'd read of a few tensioners snapping from age and wanted a new one. The kit made it easy for me. Land Rover Belt Tensioner Kit: Discovery 2 And Range Rover P38

There are threads on here where guys have pulled their pulley's and replaced the bearings in them for much cheaper and if I recall properly they listed some part numbers for the bearings. Just do a search.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Pull the serpentine belt off and check each pulley individually.

First: Spin them, do they all spin freely? If so, move on. Check each one for bearing play can you move the pulley side to side or up and down?

Pay close attention to the power steering pulley - they have a tendency to fail quite often. The pulley / shaft will walk out of the pump housing putting undue pressure on the bearing causing it to whine.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling

After reading my own late night post I have hard time understanding what i was saying - LOL

Thank you for the advice. I read many places about the Power Steering pulley issues.
Let me pull everything out and see where is the problem as Coors suggested. but sound definitely coming from the Driver side.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:32 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
After reading my own late night post I have hard time understanding what i was saying - LOL

Thank you for the advice. I read many places about the Power Steering pulley issues.
Let me pull everything out and see where is the problem as Coors suggested. but sound definitely coming from the Driver side.
I would like to say, if you are to change the pulleys, one is 80mm. Just in case you might order the same size like what I did. cheers!

Old 12-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Discovery Whining noise

I did some initial observation and made small video just to see if anyone can recognize this noise.

I was thinking the Power steering but seem like coming directly below the AC compressor.

I am hoping its the upper Pulley.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It sounds like a dry bearing moaning Sayeed and hopefully an idler gear and not the A/C compressor or PAS pump. As Coors states, pull the serpentine belt and check each pulley for wear, play and noise.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
It sounds like a dry bearing moaning Sayeed and hopefully an idler gear and not the A/C compressor or PAS pump. As Coors states, pull the serpentine belt and check each pulley for wear, play and noise.
I am hoping the same. I have been doing some research on the PAS. I don't think its AC. As I sprayed sine WD40 on that because it was easier to get to that did not see any changes.

Regardless, I have to replace my valve cover gasket (I screwed up last time) so As I go in I will start checking them all. They are all original so may be time to replace both the 80mm and 70mm.

Anyone has a good source to buy besides BA?

Thanks

Old 12-29-2016, 06:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
I am hoping the same. I have been doing some research on the PAS. I don't think its AC. As I sprayed sine WD40 on that because it was easier to get to that did not see any changes.

Regardless, I have to replace my valve cover gasket (I screwed up last time) so As I go in I will start checking them all. They are all original so may be time to replace both the 80mm and 70mm.

Anyone has a good source to buy besides BA?

Thanks

I responded on a different thread and my best guess is a bearing. I just received the 80 and 70 pulleys. I bought them from AB but the purchase was on eBay. One of the pulleys (can't remember which) is commonly available at auto parts stores for cheap.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I was wrong. They are from British Pacific.

Aw geez. Closer inspection reveals that IS Atlantic British.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: noise from Engine