Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Driveline

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010 | 06:06 PM
|
Winching
Default Noisy Driveline

So long time no post....
But I've got an issue I need help with..

A couple months ago, I started to notice a slight thump whenever I would be pulling into a p@rking lot with an elevation change.. I felt it with my foot more than heard it, and then I noticed it was persistant and only occured with the wheels turned and encountering some sort of slope, so I naturally thought it was my shocks making noise as they are shot.

This continues for several weeks and I notice that it now happens when I am either coming to a stop and the vehicle is downshifting, or after a stop when I am pulling away. Ive heard/felt this while it was downshifting as well. My thoughts of it being the shocks went out the window and then I started to think that it could be the U-Joints. I tried stopping at lights with my foot on the brake, and a small amount of throttle, (Keeping load on the Driveline) doing this continually for a while, and did not hear the noise. This re-inforced my belief that it was the U-joints.

I got underneath it and tried to turn the prop shaft with my hand to see if there was any slop and i couldnt budge it. Ive also noticed that CLUNK when going from drive to reverse or reverse to drive seems pronounced, more so with reverse, so I crawl under it with my brother in the truck, and while running with his foot on the brake, having him shift back and forth between reverse and drive, the clunk sounded like it was coming from the T-Case, and each time he shifted back and forth there was a hesitation and then I could see the flange on the T-case and pumpking move, like a couple degrees or so.. I dont know if it was a watch I would say it moved 3 seconds back and forth..

I have had a leaky T-Case for a while, but I have kept up with it and kept fluid in it, I checked it other day when I changed the oil and it was ok.

Any input would be appreciated.

Oh and on another note, at highway speeds it seems to be "more noisy"

Old 03-30-2010 | 06:14 PM
Camel Trophy

Park on a lever surface and leave it in N. Chock the wheels and then try to rotate the front shaft. Odds are it was just in a bind. Don't just check the t-case, check your diffs and swivel ***** too.

I would say the pop is from a worn bushing, if not shocks. I had the same pop that could be felt through the drivers floor. Replaced all of the bushings and it is gone. Little different story if it is a metal clank that can be heard outside with the window down.

Old 03-30-2010 | 07:38 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by llPANCHOll
So long time no post....
But I've got an issue I need help with..

A couple months ago, I started to notice a slight thump whenever I would be pulling into a p@rking lot with an elevation change.. I felt it with my foot more than heard it, and then I noticed it was persistant and only occured with the wheels turned and encountering some sort of slope, so I naturally thought it was my shocks making noise as they are shot.

This continues for several weeks and I notice that it now happens when I am either coming to a stop and the vehicle is downshifting, or after a stop when I am pulling away. Ive heard/felt this while it was downshifting as well. My thoughts of it being the shocks went out the window and then I started to think that it could be the U-Joints. I tried stopping at lights with my foot on the brake, and a small amount of throttle, (Keeping load on the Driveline) doing this continually for a while, and did not hear the noise. This re-inforced my belief that it was the U-joints.

I got underneath it and tried to turn the prop shaft with my hand to see if there was any slop and i couldnt budge it. Ive also noticed that CLUNK when going from drive to reverse or reverse to drive seems pronounced, more so with reverse, so I crawl under it with my brother in the truck, and while running with his foot on the brake, having him shift back and forth between reverse and drive, the clunk sounded like it was coming from the T-Case, and each time he shifted back and forth there was a hesitation and then I could see the flange on the T-case and pumpking move, like a couple degrees or so.. I dont know if it was a watch I would say it moved 3 seconds back and forth..

I have had a leaky T-Case for a while, but I have kept up with it and kept fluid in it, I checked it other day when I changed the oil and it was ok.

Any input would be appreciated.

Oh and on another note, at highway speeds it seems to be "more noisy"

your first noise sounds like sway bar bushings in the front. they are 4 bucks a piece and easy to change.the clunk from park to drive is prob one of your drive shafts get it on a lift and see which one has play in it

Old 03-30-2010 | 08:56 PM
|
Winching

Thanks for the input, Ill try to post my resolution when its found, will jack it up and check the play in the driveline, Ive looked at the bushings and they dont look visibly worn, of course the last time I replaced bushings it was on a 68 datsun pickup and those were completely destroyed.. is it possible that it would be hard to tell if one was bad just by looking at it??

Old 03-31-2010 | 09:14 AM
Administrator

Trying to remember, does either of your drive shafts have a slip shaft, if so, have you been keeping them greased?
Way to few miles to think the t/case has a bearing starting to fail, but that could be the issue.
As for you leak, try a bottle of White Shepherd, works great on stopping t/case and diff leaks.

Old 03-31-2010 | 07:25 PM
|
Winching

Yeah mike, I tried the "White Shepard" it did slow it down but stop it.. It did not... I have the replacement seals for the rear side sitting in a drawer, figure Id install them if and when I have to pull the rear driveshaft for ujoints or roto flex

As far as the noise... Im pulling for the bushing.. I will resurrect the thread when I resolve.

Old 04-01-2010 | 01:29 AM

I am afraid with that many miles on it that thing is on it's last leg. IT MAY BE DANGEROUS TO CONTINUE DRIVING IT. LEAVE IT SIT AND I WILL BE GLAD TO COME AND TAKE IT AWAY FOR YOU AT NO CHARGE!

Of course I am kidding, that is the oldest Discovery I have ever heard of with that low of a mileage. You must not get out much. Let us know what you find. Good luck.