Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob with 7 million questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Talking Noob with 7 million questions. What's your next question after those - I may have the answer

Seriously, the 2003/4 with exception of the engine (which I know very little about) has little differences except they don't have a CDL but it can be retro fitted from another box and the chassis box plate is slightly thinner material, I'm told, an LR 'economy run' However, if the latter is not a myth it must also apply to the 2002 which was also a facelift D2.

I run a D2 2003 admittedly with a different engine, but it has been fairly good and reliable for 11 years old.
What engine do you have

Old 12-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Plenty of good advice in this thread. I wouldn't be afraid to buy an 03-04 if I were you, just make sure you buy one that's been maintained fairly well and set aside funds for repairs post-purchase. I dumped a bunch of money into my '03 right after I bought it getting it back into top notch shape, but it's been a good vehicle since.

Bottom line, if the initial purchase price is wiping out most/all of your budget, a Rover probably isn't the truck to buy, otherwise go for it.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome, thanks for replying guys!
I narrowed it down a little today to a 2004 with 100k thats going for $3500. The guy says its misfiring a bit, but im assuming sparks and leads would probably solve that.
In terms of dropping all my extra cash - almost. Id have between. 500-1000 left over. Pending on how the audi does at auction

Link to the disco if anybody wants to take a look: https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/4801945660.html

Old 12-15-2014, 10:07 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesy-1
Awesome, thanks for replying guys!
I narrowed it down a little today to a 2004 with 100k thats going for $3500. The guy says its misfiring a bit, but im assuming sparks and leads would probably solve that.
In terms of dropping all my extra cash - almost. Id have between. 500-1000 left over. Pending on how the audi does at auction

Link to the disco if anybody wants to take a look: https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/4801945660.html

I would pass on that one. Does not look like it was properly maintained and their lies your first issue. Dont rush into this. Take your time, save your money and wait and keep searching for the perfect Land Rover. Cracks in the bumper, the rear upper tail lights have built up sediment inside the lenses and the engine is misfireing. Who knows what else. Look for a Discovery that comes with lots of service records. Is cosmetically sound and does not have any apparent engine problems. There are plenty of them out there.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=OffroadFrance;

Seriously, the 2003/4 with exception of the engine (which I know very little about) has little differences except they don't have a CDL but it can be retro fitted from another box and the chassis box plate is slightly thinner material,

[/QUOTE]

My 04 came with a factory Diff lock cable shifter. The 99 didn't, I had to add the shifter to the xfer case. I think the 03 was without. But Offroad did it come with a xfer case lock nipple? Just wondering.
I love driving my Rover Nothing else like it or can replace it. I wish I had room to keep the 99 and do some work on it, It would have made a great offroad vehicle.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Old 12-16-2014, 11:56 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesy-1
I prefer later model D2's specifically a 2004 but that there is a nice looking truck. Looks like it had the top end trim package because it came with rear air suspension, premium sound and the wood grain. But yeah the price is to high so try working with them to lower the price. Take it for a test drive, long enough to get the engine warmed up. If you hear a engine ticking of any kind than use that as a means to lower the price. Inspect the front drive shaft, if its the original factory driveshaft then it will have to be replaced with a aftermarket fully serviceable shaft. If this truck has the original shaft then show the sellers the recall information about the shaft and again use that to get the price lowered. Does this truck still have the rear air suspension or was it converted to coil springs? If it still has the air components then inspect them for wear. If there are cracks in the air struts or the vehicle saggs then use that as a means to lower the price. If the air suspension was converted to coil springs then USE THAT TO LOWER THE PRICE because the previous owner just took some value away from the truck!

Read as much as possible about the most common issues with the DIscovery 2, print out some short summaries of those issues and talk with the sales rep as if you are a very knowledgeable enthusiast who knows more then the sales rep does. If they lower the price down enough then this could be a good choice. But you need to do more research. See if it has any service records. Ask for the carfax.

Once these trucks reach the early 100k the following things most commonly will start wearing down:

- power steering pump
- front drive shaft
- head gaskets
- throttle body heater plate
- thermostat
- window regulator motors
- ABS sensors and wheel hubs

Good luck mate

Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Add suspension to the list of things that start to wear out at 100k.

Sure that is a normal wear and tear thing however if it has not been updated you will be reminded every time you drive, and you will have to add $500 to $800 to your budget to get it in proper condition... Which could be another negotiating point to get the price down.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Personally I won't own another D2, or D1 for that matter, with sun roofs, unless it just about falls into my lap. They aren't reliable, they leak, and parts aren't available for them anymore.

I like the way that the 03-04 headlights look, but they are ridiculous money compared to the price of the vehicle now. I'd probably stick with as low of a trim level around 2000 model year. And then I'd add upgrades like the 2004 SLABS computer and a CDL actuator of some sort... maybe also from a 2004.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Personally I won't own another D2, or D1 for that matter, with sun roofs, unless it just about falls into my lap. They aren't reliable, they leak, and parts aren't available for them anymore.

I like the way that the 03-04 headlights look, but they are ridiculous money compared to the price of the vehicle now. I'd probably stick with as low of a trim level around 2000 model year. And then I'd add upgrades like the 2004 SLABS computer and a CDL actuator of some sort... maybe also from a 2004.
"Personally I won't own another D2, or D1 for that matter, with sun roofs"

totally agree, they are more trouble than they are worth especially twin with rear A/C as you have to dismantle the rear A/C ducts to repair the seals.

"I like the way that the 03-04 headlights look, but they are ridiculous money compared to the price of the vehicle now".

Again, I totally agree. Ridiculous cash for pretty headlights even a used set.

Quick Reply: Noob with 7 million questions