Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob with 7 million questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I tend to agree with TRIARRII, at 100K+ all the moving and suspension parts start to sag or fail unless someone has done preventative maintenance already. Good service records, low ownership and mileage are an imperative with any good LR as whatever you know about LR's you can never cover all of the bases and be certain of what you are buying. Unless it's cheap and you can do your own spannering most D2's are 11 years old or more and most will have upcoming inherent issues lurking.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:59 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Keep in mind many of these go up for sale at precisely the moment the lack of maintenance catches up with the owners.

The first time they take it to an actual dealer and get a quote on a brake job or a check engine light they get the shock and horror that leads more adventurous owners to the interwebs and forums like this.

As posted on here before, and in addition to the above advice, it's never a bad idea to take a code reader along when you go look at one of these.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:10 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

You know Ive had 2 Discos now. First a 98 D1 with 170k? and how a 2004 D2 with 148k and both had sunroofs. Never had much a problem with them. On the D1 the rear sunroof motor was starting to show signs of wear because it would open slowly sometimes and sometimes it would not work anymore and you had to keep trying then it would work. My current D2 I have no leaks or issues with the motors. Same thing with the wiper blades. Aside from the fact that most stores around my area do not carry direct fit wipers the ones I get online from AB work just fine.

Even if your sunroof motor goes bad, just replace it and forget about it for another 100k. Last year I replaced my rear door wiper motor and last weekend I replaced my front driver side window regulator motor. Im confident I wont have to worry about them again for a long time and I rarely have passengers so my other window motors will probably last for quite awhile.

Id rather worry about a window motor vs a lifter or slipped sleeve.......

Old 12-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Alright fellas, another question!

I found an 03 Disco at a local dealership that they bought at a steal, they thought it was messed up but apparently all it needs is an 'xyz sensor'.

It has 100k, a roof rack, ladder, grill guards, all windows and locks work, was a little tough to get into 4 hi.

But, its $2000 after tax tile etc.... go or no go?

All opinions,comments etc welcome. Y'all have been awesome help so far!

Old 12-22-2014, 06:11 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesy-1

I found an 03 Disco at a local dealership that they bought at a steal, they thought it was messed up but apparently all it needs is an 'xyz sensor'.

It has 100k, a roof rack, ladder, grill guards, all windows and locks work, was a little tough to get into 4 hi.

Be careful with the 2003 model year. Early in 2003 their was a serous issue with the oil pump which resulted in total engine failure. But not all 2003's were effected. I do not know off hand what the vin range was but do some research or hopfully someone else here will chime. Once you find out verify that this prospect 2003 D2 is not in the bad vin range. That said it is also very possible that this truck was effected by the recall BUT had the engine replaced, if so I would take it in a heartbeat!

The other thing to remember is that most 2003 models do not come with the center differential locker, it can be retrofitted but not cheap if you pay someone else to do it, if you do it yourself it may take awhile but it can be done and Lucky 8 LLC sells a kit I think.

If it comes with the SD roof rack and light guards and everything on board works as it should then it may be a good bet. Take it for a test drive, take some pictures, ask for carfax and determine how much work has already been done. Finally get underneath the truck and inspect the chassis for frame rot. Look up front near the catalytic converters, then inspect half way back next to the silencer muffler, and finally look at the bad end of the truck near the gas tank. If the chassis is in good shape then it may be a steal. But remind them of the fact that its the 2003 model year, thus lacking the thick roof rails, lacking the CDL locker and prone to oil pump issues and use that as an excuse to have them replace the XYZ switch before you buy it.

Take some pictures, we want to see ^^
Good luck

Old 12-23-2014, 01:11 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Don't worry about the bad vin range, if it made it to 100k it either did not have the oil pump issue or it got a new engine.

All D2's can have broken oil pumps leading to low oil pressure whether they were an 03 or in the "vin range"

Keep in mind the above part about no CDL if thats what you are looking for... but at 2k I'd be taking that for a test drive with my code reader.

Also remember you'll likely need a higher than average annual maintenance budget the first few years as you catch up on the High Mile Maintenance as listed in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Good Luck!

Old 12-23-2014, 04:50 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesy-1

Get the vendor to fit a GENUINE XYZ switch which incidentally ain't cheap and also the fitting isn't an easy 5 minute job. Also get them the run a diagnostic check whilst you watch them do it and print out the codes if any.

Bear in mind 'there's no such thing as a free lunch' and in this world you get nothing for nothing!