Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOOB here looking to buy 1998 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOOB here looking to buy 1998 Discovery

Hi all!

Just looking to introduce myself here, Im looking to get a disco sooner than later and just have a couople of questions for you.
One of the trucks I have been looking at is very clean and has a reasonable price, but the owner states the dealer told him the #3 cylinder has a misfire and this is usually because of a dropped cylinder sleeve. Does this sound right to you guys? Im sure the owner was quoted for a new engine which is why he is getting rid of it. anyone out there have any idea what this could be caused by. BTW the owner says the truck still runs, but is kind of rough.

TIA!!

Old 08-31-2006, 03:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NOOB here looking to buy 1998 Discovery

Dropped cylinder sleeves usually result from a severly overheated engine, and require the Block be replaced. So yes-- in this case you are talking a engine replacement. However-- the reason for replacement is that it will cause a head gasket failure at the "fire ring" but not necessarily a misfire on that cylinder until it is just about to blow. I would have a cooling system pressure-hold test done but also have the Codes pulled with a Autologic or other suitable scanner at a shop and see what comes up. We had a vehicle towed in that the dealer said needed a engine, and it was simply a bad plug wire. I know!-- Dealers are usually much better than this (and ethical) but maybe the top brass put heat on the service manager that week to get revenue up.

Anyway, it could be a bad coil pack, plug wire, or failing fuel injector.

Read the write-up at www.eurotekapg.com under the technical info/powertrain section for more comments.

By the way-- engine replacements are running between $4-6K these days, and this is just killing the market as the expense in some cases exceeds the value of the vehicle. That number is-- of course a shop price. If you are mechanically inclined it can be done for a lot less. This is the idea behind eurotek apg. We serve the do-it-yourself owner/enthusiast looking for the straight scoop and affordable prices on parts. Sorry for the plug, but as the saying goes "Shy saleman have skinny kids"

Regards,

Mike McLaughlin

eurotek apg
Martinez, CA

Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree with Mike. Rovers are know to have misfires, usually always caused by bad plug wires. How does the truck run, is the check engine light on, if so go to your local auto parts store and have the codes read, make sure you get the exact code fault number and get back to us.
Mike

Old 09-01-2006, 08:47 PM
3rd Gear

Here is what the owner sent me in response to my question about what the dealer told him was the reason for the misfire in the engine. Any thoughts?

"T4 analysis reflected misfire in one cylinder. Several plugs loose especially cylinder #6. Tightened all pligs and replaced wires. Situation improved but slightly missing T4 analysis showed DTC P0303 misfire in cylinder #3. Vehicle does not overheat at all.T4 analysis reflected misfire in one cylinder. Several plugs loose especially cylinder #6. Tightened all pligs and replaced wires. Situation improved but slightly missing T4 analysis showed DTC P0303 misfire in cylinder #3. Vehicle does not overheat at all."

Old 09-02-2006, 11:41 AM
3rd Gear

So the truck was missing the shop pulled the codes and detected a misfire in #3 they tightened down the spark plugs since some were very loose,then replaced plug wires and this improved the situation but did not fix it.

What else could be the cause of this, the owners says it never overheated, not sure wether or not to believe him. But he is offer the Disco for a price that reflects its condition, cheap.. Not sure I want my first disco to be one I have to rebuild an engine, thats not out of the question, but I'd rather is be a coil pack or an elictrical ignition problem, might the rotor be failing?

Can anyone really rule out a slipped cylinder sleeve based on the information?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Probably time to do a wet and dry compression test, if it tests OK might want to look at a good engine flush and dearboning, then drive it again. If it is still there have some shop put the truck on a scope and verify what is going on, this is much better then trying to decide why you have a misfire, the scope will show it to you and where it is coming from.
Mike