Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novice in repairing vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I think most of the members here have been in your shoes. As time goes on, you will get seasoned, and helping the newbies out there.
If you don't believe me, look at my join date, 1 year before you and my first Land Rover. 900+ posts and 120+ thanks to boot.

The following users liked this post:
MysteeklRover (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 05:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

jump aboard we will teach

Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Don't worry Captain, you go take a nap. There isn't an iceberg within a hundred miles of us

Old 03-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If it's not your daily driver, just jump in and get to work. You'll make a ton of mistakes, you'll sweat, but you'll learn. Hopefully you have enough money to pay for the mistakes. Learn how to use the RAVE.

Wires aren't too hard, by the way. You can do them without removing the upper air intake. It's a pain, but there's nothing intellectually or engineering-ly (?) challenging about it. There's a good guide out there that shows you how to make a bent screwdriver, which helps. If you have a pair of pliers that are bent at the tip and have rounded edges (e.g. circlip pliers) they will also come in handy taking off the wires from the coils.

Last edited by batard; 03-08-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamieb
I wanted to follow up. I have to confess, I used to HATE it when anything went wrong with the Disco when I first married my wife a few years back. Scared the crap out of me to think of the $$$$ I was facing in repairs. The first year, she had a friend who owned a repair shop and had a Rover guy, so he was the go to guy. We were living in an apartment and I would do minor things in the parking lot, but I looked forward to the day we'd sell the rover for a new Tacoma.

Then we moved to a house, and I had to do the radiator. I broke the overflow plastic nipple. My bad - I replace it. I went at it and did it. I cursed a few times, scratched the crap out of my hands, but I did it.

Fast forward a couple years and I've probably had the plenum off 4 times now and I know what everything is on the engine now - by learning, doing, cursing and bleeding. But I know now. I actually looked FORWARD to replacing the coils and wires last time, because I actually knew what the hek I was doing, and I was excited.

To wrap up this blabbering of mine, I have developed a very unhealthy relationship with my Disco. I absolutely love it and am borderline obsessed with it now. Because of not being afraid to do the things you are asking about, and reading what the awesome people on this forum write, I am so thankful I learned to work on this truck. If you are not afraid to learn some things, realize the world is not ending when unexpected things happen along the way, the satisfaction is intense with these Rovers.

Also, get to know the Harbor Freight folks and their coupons well! :-) My tool collection seems to reproduce like rabbits.

best of luck!
That's awesome! I love my Rover! My dtrs father purchased one 2 1/2 yrs ago, and it impressed me when it was only one of a handful of vehicles trooping through 2+ feet of snow! Of course, I've also learned from his mistakes (I.e. no tune up to this day, infrequent oil changes).... He did however, have to have his crank sensor, water pump, drive belt and radiator replaced this past summer... But I intend on taking very good care of mine, as I have always heard they are 'tough as nails' and will 'never leave you stranded'....the latter proved true as we were on the interstate when the crank sensor showed us it needed replacing (took us 2hrs to make a 25 minute drive bcus it kept cutting off and wouldn't restart until it sat a minute/cooled off. His is a 2000, mine an 02, and I just purchased mine a month ago for 3000 at 188,000 and it purrs like a kitten, no visible (on the ground) oil leaks, and I'll be replacing my expansion tank this evening as it has a hairline crack in it that I patched last night with plastic epoxy...BTW, how would I know if my head is cracked or blown? It ran into the red and temp light came on once. Of course I immediately shut her down and didn't drive her til I was able to fix the coolant leak a week ago. That time I used quick steel epoxy (he did it and only sanded tank with a steel wool pad and applied the putty only for me to find out after it attempted to run hot, well gauge started to rise that the putty was the wrong kind). So I used a rough sandpaper after cleaning it with acetone, applied the epoxy for plastic, put a gauze pads in place and reapplied the epoxy and let her sit over nite. I'm not seeing the classic symptoms such as the white smoke, stalling....just wondering if there are other signs

Old 03-08-2016, 11:23 AM
Mudding

I wanted to follow up. I have to confess, I used to HATE it when anything went wrong with the Disco when I first married my wife a few years back. Scared the crap out of me to think of the $$$$ I was facing in repairs. The first year, she had a friend who owned a repair shop and had a Rover guy, so he was the go to guy. We were living in an apartment and I would do minor things in the parking lot, but I looked forward to the day we'd sell the rover for a new Tacoma.

Then we moved to a house, and I had to do the radiator. I broke the overflow plastic nipple. My bad - I replace it. I went at it and did it. I cursed a few times, scratched the crap out of my hands, but I did it.

Fast forward a couple years and I've probably had the plenum off 4 times now and I know what everything is on the engine now - by learning, doing, cursing and bleeding. But I know now. I actually looked FORWARD to replacing the coils and wires last time, because I actually knew what the hek I was doing, and I was excited.

To wrap up this blabbering of mine, I have developed a very unhealthy relationship with my Disco. I absolutely love it and am borderline obsessed with it now. Because of not being afraid to do the things you are asking about, and reading what the awesome people on this forum write, I am so thankful I learned to work on this truck. If you are not afraid to learn some things, realize the world is not ending when unexpected things happen along the way, the satisfaction is intense with these Rovers.

Also, get to know the Harbor Freight folks and their coupons well! :-) My tool collection seems to reproduce like rabbits.

best of luck!
BTW, I'm due an oil change but local garages won't or can't do it because bolt is stuck and they can't get in to change it

Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Mudding

best of luck!
Oh and upon sealing tank, noticed coolant had been seeping from around the larger hose at point it connects to the tank so I loosened clamp, moved it up a smidgen and reclamped it...thinking, hoping this was a port where air was seeping in and causing pressure build up that blew the quiksteel 'patch' off...

Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteeklRover
That's awesome! I love my Rover! My dtrs father purchased one 2 1/2 yrs ago, and it impressed me when it was only one of a handful of vehicles trooping through 2+ feet of snow! Of course, I've also learned from his mistakes (I.e. no tune up to this day, infrequent oil changes).... He did however, have to have his crank sensor, water pump, drive belt and radiator replaced this past summer... But I intend on taking very good care of mine, as I have always heard they are 'tough as nails' and will 'never leave you stranded'....the latter proved true as we were on the interstate when the crank sensor showed us it needed replacing (took us 2hrs to make a 25 minute drive bcus it kept cutting off and wouldn't restart until it sat a minute/cooled off. His is a 2000, mine an 02, and I just purchased mine a month ago for 3000 at 188,000 and it purrs like a kitten, no visible (on the ground) oil leaks, and I'll be replacing my expansion tank this evening as it has a hairline crack in it that I patched last night with plastic epoxy...BTW, how would I know if my head is cracked or blown? It ran into the red and temp light came on once. Of course I immediately shut her down and didn't drive her til I was able to fix the coolant leak a week ago. That time I used quick steel epoxy (he did it and only sanded tank with a steel wool pad and applied the putty only for me to find out after it attempted to run hot, well gauge started to rise that the putty was the wrong kind). So I used a rough sandpaper after cleaning it with acetone, applied the epoxy for plastic, put a gauze pads in place and reapplied the epoxy and let her sit over nite. I'm not seeing the classic symptoms such as the white smoke, stalling....just wondering if there are other signs
Red usually means problems... For me anyway. If you start loosing coolant and/or getting misfires, if you get odd pressure in the expansion tank (bubbling after you are sure all of the air is out) or if you see a frothy milkshake on the dipstick, then you probably have a head gasket issue. If not, be blissfully happy that you dodged a bullet.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteeklRover
BTW, I'm due an oil change but local garages won't or can't do it because bolt is stuck and they can't get in to change it
Harbor freight has a socket set for pulling rounded bolts. It works on anything. I bet that oil change place rounded the bolt a bit. Tell them Charlie V said they need to grow a pair.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Red usually means problems... For me anyway. If you start loosing coolant and/or getting misfires, if you get odd pressure in the expansion tank (bubbling after you are sure all of the air is out) or if you see a frothy milkshake on the dipstick, then you probably have a head gasket issue. If not, be blissfully happy that you dodged a bullet.
Misfires? Explain.... I'm a novice...

Quick Reply: Novice in repairing vehicles