Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novice in repairing vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Novice in repairing vehicles

What skill level, on a scale of 1 to 3(1 meaning least skill required), would it take to replace my own radiator on my 02 Disco II? Spark plugs/Wires?

Last edited by MysteeklRover; 03-07-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

1 to 3 is not a lot of room to work with. I'm going to use a 1 to 5 instead. I'd say spark plugs are on a 1 right along with changing oil. Radiator is a two. Plug wires are a 4 because you've got to remove the intake manifold and everything that has to come off before it. Quite a few different size bolts and several plugs to keep track of, as well as the vacuum lines.

The following users liked this post:
MysteeklRover (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
1 to 3 is not a lot of room to work with. I'm going to use a 1 to 5 instead. I'd say spark plugs are on a 1 right along with changing oil. Radiator is a two. Plug wires are a 4 because you've got to remove the intake manifold and everything that has to come off before it. Quite a few different size bolts and several plugs to keep track of, as well as the vacuum lines.
A while back when I first started learning to work on my D2 I did the radiator. Had to use the rave to find all the bolts. Then it was a major pain in the butt getting it dropped in with the tranny cooler. I worked alone. I think today it would be easier since I've learned a lot, but that first time, having no extra hands, was not fun. Be patient, don't force anything and if you can get a helper dropping the new one in, it will help.

Be careful when threading the sensor bolt under the t-stat. It's easy to over turn the plastic and crack it.

Wires, the first time is a learning process. Taking everything off is a learning experience. The 2nd and 3rd times are a piece of cake. Brittle coolant tubes are the main threat. SAI tube if you have one, that's fun.

Last edited by jamieb; 03-07-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Mudding

Thank u mucho for the honesty!

Old 03-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

The first thing I did was take pictures of everything in the engine area. Great for future reference when going back together. I also laid the bolts/nuts corresponding where they go back or put them in the part you just removed,i.e. upper intake manifold.
My son did it by himself and has never worked on a vehicle, let alone a rover.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

My first real project was the coil packs. I laid an old moving blanket out for the parts, and used magnetic parts holders or any type of cup I could get my hands to store bolts. Each cup had a masking tape label on where it came from and was laid down in rows left to right. I also had an old laptop with me that had the RAVE on in so I could look at the pictures as I went.
The new parts ( like gaskets and plugs) were substituted in the rows BEFORE I started to re- assemble. You need to look at it from a logistics standpoint. Order everything you know you need, what you might need. For example, Since you are going to do the radiator, are you going to put in a 180* thermostat. What shape are the hoses in?
I would also suggest that you go to the AB website and what their videos which are incredibly helpful as are the maintenance schedules they have posted.
I had never really done any work on a vehicle prior to my D2. I must say that I really enjoy the satisfaction of doing the work, starting it up, and having not explode in my face.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I think the coils are the hardest unless you have tiny hands, and you have to reach the coils to replace the wires, unless you go the preferred route and remove the upper intake. I can remove the upper intake in about 20 minutes at a steady pace but the first time took me over an hour. Basic tools required... 8 and 10mm sockets, a flashlight that you can hold in your mouth. Small screwdriver and needle nose pliers for clamps). Socket extensions. And a magnet to grab the front and back intake bolts and anything you drop.

The radiator is also difficult. I always have trouble with the compression fittings on the oil and transmission coolers. There are lots of hard to get to bolts that require removing the grill, horns, etc. in the preferred manner. Or you can sneak a screwdriver in and just take out the main radiator, and avoid the compression fittings. This is slightly easier than the wires.

Replacing the spark plugs is super easy. You need the right socket for the spark plus. It has a rubber insert. The parts store will have it.

All of these are novice jobs with the right tools, plenty of time, a RAVE manual or someone on speed dial, and a nice, sunny day. If you want to do it right also get a torque wrench, some blue loctite and a spray can of copper coat gasket compound.

Note that if you take the upper intake off to get to the coils (for the wires) you should replace the plenum gasket (hence the copper coat gasket compound or you can spray your old gasket but you might have to do it again). So you'd want to order one ahead of time.

I did my wires without removing the upper intake one time. I had to put grease on my hands just to reach where the wires hit the coils, fingers don't have muscles the way they need to in order to remove the wires for replacement, and my hands were bruised for a week. The location of our coils is ABSURD.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I think the coils are the hardest unless you have tiny hands, and you have to reach the coils to replace the wires, unless you go the preferred route and remove the upper intake. I can remove the upper intake in about 20 minutes at a steady pace but the first time took me over an hour. Basic tools required... 8 and 10mm sockets, a flashlight that you can hold in your mouth. Small screwdriver and needle nose pliers for clamps). Socket extensions. And a magnet to grab the front and back intake bolts and anything you drop. If you want to he a pro take the hood off by removing four 13mm bolts.

The radiator is also difficult. I always have trouble with the compression fittings on the oil and transmission coolers. There are lots of hard to get to bolts that require removing the grill, horns, etc. in the preferred manner. Or you can sneak a screwdriver in and just take out the main radiator, and avoid the compression fittings. This is slightly easier than the wires. You will need a huge wrench for the fan. I bought one just for the fan.

Replacing the spark plugs is super easy. You need the right socket for the spark plugs. It has a rubber insert. The parts store will have it.

All of these are novice jobs with the right tools, plenty of time, a RAVE manual or someone on speed dial, and a nice, sunny day. If you want to do it right also get a torque wrench, some blue loctite and a spray can of copper coat gasket compound.

Note that if you take the upper intake off to get to the coils (for the wires) you should replace the plenum gasket (hence the copper coat gasket compound or you can spray your old gasket but you might have to do it again). So you'd want to order one ahead of time.

I did my wires without removing the upper intake one time. I had to put grease on my hands just to reach where the wires hit the coils, fingers don't have muscles the way they need to in order to remove the wires for replacement, and my hands were bruised for a week. It gave me arthritis and the croup. The location of our coils is ABSURD. Of all of the days of my life that I want back, that day hovers near the top of the list.

Needless to say the engine needs to be cold for all of these jobs.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-07-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteeklRover
Thank u mucho for the honesty!
I wanted to follow up. I have to confess, I used to HATE it when anything went wrong with the Disco when I first married my wife a few years back. Scared the crap out of me to think of the $$$$ I was facing in repairs. The first year, she had a friend who owned a repair shop and had a Rover guy, so he was the go to guy. We were living in an apartment and I would do minor things in the parking lot, but I looked forward to the day we'd sell the rover for a new Tacoma.

Then we moved to a house, and I had to do the radiator. I broke the overflow plastic nipple. My bad - I replace it. I went at it and did it. I cursed a few times, scratched the crap out of my hands, but I did it.

Fast forward a couple years and I've probably had the plenum off 4 times now and I know what everything is on the engine now - by learning, doing, cursing and bleeding. But I know now. I actually looked FORWARD to replacing the coils and wires last time, because I actually knew what the hek I was doing, and I was excited.

To wrap up this blabbering of mine, I have developed a very unhealthy relationship with my Disco. I absolutely love it and am borderline obsessed with it now. Because of not being afraid to do the things you are asking about, and reading what the awesome people on this forum write, I am so thankful I learned to work on this truck. If you are not afraid to learn some things, realize the world is not ending when unexpected things happen along the way, the satisfaction is intense with these Rovers.

Also, get to know the Harbor Freight folks and their coupons well! :-) My tool collection seems to reproduce like rabbits.

best of luck!

Last edited by jamieb; 03-07-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Mudding

These replies are giving me hope!!!

Quick Reply: Novice in repairing vehicles