Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I got a cracked engine cover!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I got a cracked engine cover!!!!!

Well as I am getting ready to install the oil pump in the engine cover, I take a closer look and........WHAM!!!! Looks like a hair fell in. Try to take it out and.......my fear becomes a reality. CRACK!!!!! Probably created by the 5 piece outer ring from the oil pump rattling around the housing.

Just called Atlantic British and ordered a new cover. Guy seen that I already spent over a grand in last two weeks so he decides to give me 10% off.

It is a small crack but I can not take chances. If it cracks more, I will lose oil pressure or if a piece of the cover falls in the pump.....well then I need a new engine. So.....Place another order.

Word of advice: if you have a cracked oil pump, check your engine cover really good. Obviously they have tendency of cracking as well. THANKS LAND ROVER!!!!!! Should of bought a boat (there goes another grand) lol.

See picture of the front cover and oil pump.

Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails Now I got a cracked engine cover!!!!!-cracked_engine_cover.jpg   Now I got a cracked engine cover!!!!!-cracked_oil_pump.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boris_gti
Well as I am getting ready to install the oil pump in the engine cover, I take a closer look and........WHAM!!!! Looks like a hair fell in. Try to take it out and.......my fear becomes a reality. CRACK!!!!! Probably created by the 5 piece outer ring from the oil pump rattling around the housing.

Just called Atlantic British and ordered a new cover. Guy seen that I already spent over a grand in last two weeks so he decides to give me 10% off.

It is a small crack but I can not take chances. If it cracks more, I will lose oil pressure or if a piece of the cover falls in the pump.....well then I need a new engine. So.....Place another order.

Word of advice: if you have a cracked oil pump, check your engine cover really good. Obviously they have tendency of cracking as well. THANKS LAND ROVER!!!!!! Should of bought a boat (there goes another grand) lol.

See picture of the front cover and oil pump.

Cheers.

Cancel your order and call Turner. You'll need the cash for future repairs.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Mudding

Too late. Already shipped.

Thanks though! Really appreciated. Hopefully there won't be any major repairs in the next year so. But then again.....it's a Land Rover lol!

Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I guess my guestion is will it happen again? Isnt the whole oil pump buissness on 03-04's cause by the block dowels being machinced off center or something like that?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

It is not a common issue, wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Mudding

Mine is out of the VIN range. Having said that.......my dowels should be right on. However.....oil pump broke as well as the cover.

Replace and hope for the best.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Mudding

Well....Do you ever feel like punching yourself in the head really hard??????

Well my new cover came in. Looks great!!! So since it came in with oil pump already in it, I decided to take the cover off and inspect to make sure everything is in good order before I install it. Guess what I see!!!

A fu$%ing parting line in the same spot that I thought my crack was!!!!!! It was not a crack....it was a fu%^ing parting line from cast aluminum in the old cover!!!!!

So.........got myself a new cover+oil pump+crank shaft seal+few other gaskets that I did not need.

PLEASE MIKE OR SOMEONE. Place the picture on this topic to the "sticky" and advise others that if they are doing the inspection on their housing that what seems and looks and feels like a crack is actually a parting line from the cast.

I didn't know if I should keep my mouth shut to save myself the embaresment or should I say something and maybe save others a few hundred bucks........

I would hate to see others throw their money away like I just did. I am surprised that nobody caught this before.

Moderator....please take the picture I posted and make it a stick in "maintenance" section or something. It identifies the area clearly and it is unmistakable. Very hard to miss when you are cleaning the cover from the inside.

I feel like crying..........

Last edited by boris_gti; 10-13-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Seems like you should have some return policy to deal with, maybe some re-stock charges?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Definitely call AB and ask about returning it. I know they accept returned merchandise, as we used to oder from them at the shop I used to work for, as long as it is within a certain time. You will have to pay for the shipping back, which ill be more than the shipping to you, but you may be better off doing that than selling it.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Mudding

I am thinking about pulling the gear cover on my oil pump while the block is at the MS and inspect the gears. Should I? or leave it alone if it seamed to be okay? If I do pull the cover and inspect inspect gears should I pack them with grease or some kind of lube? I've read some horror stories about the pump exploding after a rebuild and wonder if it was caused it was rinsed with solvent and washed out the lubricant.

Quick Reply: Now I got a cracked engine cover!!!!!