Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD/KIA not any more...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD/KIA not any more...

How about this: After Savannah running me thru checking the wiring from ther port thru to the ECM...It the appears the ECM is not sending codes. So, I get a replacement ECM/BCU combo and swap them out...now the flippin' thing won't start...all the gauges and everything else works...Savannah points out that the BCU most likely thinks the flippin' rig been stolen and disabled the starter...So, I swap them back, have all my old problems...no codes, et al. I try mix & match, doesn't work...
I put the original twe back in...for the third or fourth time and presto-painto! the OBD port comes to life!

Anyway on to the chase: my current dilemma, is a P0154, 0304 and a 0327. The 304 is left bank and random, the 154 is rt bank, the 327 is left bank knock sensor. There's a new upstream H02S both banks. I pull the rt bank 02 and inspect it, clean it with some carb cleaner, notice some oil in the plug, hit both plugs w/ carb cleaner and reassemble. I had a P0155 before this. That went away. I still have a 154,304 and 327...

Is there a O2 test, so I can verify the O2, before I start into the harness? As for the 304, I'm kinda at a loss, the miss comes and goes, worse sometimes than others...I'm thinkin' it's fuel. But, no codes...

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thanks

PS one more exacerbating problem, there's no harness to the lower radiator temp sensor. So, the ECM always thinks it's cookin...

Old 07-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The radiator temp sensor is for the SAI, The coolant temp sensor for the ECM is in the intake manifold. (we are talking about a DII aren't we?)

Old 07-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You need to verify that the ECU and BCU are both from the same truck or they won't communicate with each other.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Mudding

Yeah, it's a D2 and I'm back on the original two...The instrument cluster temp reads smokin hot, the VDO in the radiator tee reads 200...and it threw another code yesterday, P0307, so I got one random misfire routinely on each bank...
When the ECM says it's missing, how does it determine that? By reading the spark, or the injector? What's it's criterion for detecting the miss?
Also, in the multiple processor swaps, I seem to have misplaced my heater...any clue where it went?
Thanks for your help!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Mudding
Default looks like the coil pack...

So, I pulled out an old, inductive ignition lead tester and it didn't like the coils. I was getting a variety of signal intensities and some misses and near misses on ALL cylinders. The near misses would be sufficient to miss under load.
I've been looking for OBD codes for the coils, with no luck, but then, I'm also not getting any...I found the injector codes, of, course, I'm not getting them either...It's got compression, so that pretty much leaves fuel and/or fire. Based on my current mileage, the fuel's there...

So, unless anyone's got some words of wisdom, I'm replacing the coil pack and the wires.
One more question, is there a resistance test for the coils? I'm gettin' cross-eyed reading the RAVE...

Thanks, if anyone's interested in outcome, post-up and I'll let you know what happens...