Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII ELM327 Blue tooth scanner

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 909wheeler
Received mine and the LED's lit up for a few minutes and then nothing....

Returning it.
What did you expect for $12? I saw in the reviews that there were a few that failed initially but subsequent units worked fine. There are better ones out there. Supposedly the BAFX unit is pretty decent for $24 or you can get one from BlueDriver for $100 that comes with nice software but I wanted to see what I could get out of something that cost less than a decent lunch. Torque has some suggested interfaces on their site: Torque OBD 2 engine diagnostics — Torque. I'm pretty sure this one falls in the "slightly buggy" category.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew there was a good chance of getting a crappy one. Im not surprised at all. I was going to try the BAFX one next. Haven't decided to do that or just pony up for the Kiwi BT.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I also bought an ELM327 off Amazon. It was around $12 shipped. First one failed. I contacted the seller, and they sent another for free and let me keep the first one. He said it was common to get a non working device. The first one would not hold the Bluetooth connection. Second one works fine. PS: I use Android Torque and it works good.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice. Even at $12 he can still afford to send you a bunch of them. They must cost him nothing. The one I got was supposed to be a Soliport which some reviews said was better than some others but it all looks like cheap Chinese junk to me.

I just used mine to check my engine temps again. Hooked up to the laptop and stayed connected no problem. Had 194.6 at idle, 188.4 when I revved the engine up to 1,500 rpm. That's at 45 degrees ambient. It also said my intake air temp was 59 degrees.

By the way, if you want to get some as X-mass gifts you can get bulk discounts: Wholesale Elm327 Bluetooth Obd2 - Buy Cheap Elm327 Bluetooth Obd2 from Chinese Wholesalers | DHgate

Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one and it has been plugged in for a few weeks on my DII. Still works great. I did a little write-up on how to get it working on a (jailbroken) iPhone:

Cheap OBDII scanner for iPhone or Android

As for ABS, that is what the Amigo is for. Mine is rented out right now but as soon as it comes back I'll be plugging it back into my Disco to see what is up. My three amigos keep coming and going.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
By the way, if you want to get some as X-mass gifts you can get bulk discounts: Wholesale Elm327 Bluetooth Obd2 - Buy Cheap Elm327 Bluetooth Obd2 from Chinese Wholesalers | DHgate
Yes, but just be sure you send TWO, just in case the first one does not work.

Yeah, I cannot imagine what they are paying for them wholesale. $1-5?

PS: Just verified, mine were both Soliport.

Last edited by SuperSport; 12-13-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Sure is small, so would not show when plugged in. And the three Customer Ratings are all good, of course, they could all be from the seller too.

But, at that price, it might be worth the chance, just like on the one I got. I figured if it didn't work, not much lost. Luckily, the second one works fine.

EDIT: I just hooked up the Elm to my Disco. With Engine off, but key in run position, I can only get 85% throttle position. Is this normal? Anyone else have a reading?

Last edited by SuperSport; 12-13-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Sure is small, so would not show when plugged in. And the three Customer Ratings are all good, of course, they could all be from the seller too.

But, at that price, it might be worth the chance, just like on the one I got. I figured if it didn't work, not much lost. Luckily, the second one works fine.

EDIT: I just hooked up the Elm to my Disco. With Engine off, but key in run position, I can only get 85% throttle position. Is this normal? Anyone else have a reading?
Oddly I trust DX.com not to do things like that with the reviews. They sell a lot of cheap crap, but after getting a lot of their cheap crap, I think they sell it honestly.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Oddly I trust DX.com not to do things like that with the reviews. They sell a lot of cheap crap, but after getting a lot of their cheap crap, I think they sell it honestly.
That's good, I've also got a company I can buy my cheap China crap from, and I've had good luck with them. Meritline

Update: Ordered my UltraGauge yesterday. Can't wait to mount it and start messing with it.

Quick Reply: OBDII ELM327 Blue tooth scanner