Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII Readiness-or not!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:20 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII Readiness-or not!

I have a 2002 Disco II that had the Secondary Air. Due to a blown engine we installed an engine from a 1999 Disco II without the Secondary Air not realizing the can of worms we were opening. I live in metro Atlanta and our vehicles must pass a yearly emissions test. With our Land Rover RAVE manual we begin our quest.

1. We switched out the 2002 ECM with a 1999 ECM w/o SAI. Then had a local Rover shop reprogram/relearn the computer to our vehicle. We removed the vacuum lines and reservoir that connected to the SAI and plugged off the Plenum and Purge valve.

2. Due to a 473 Fuel Pressure Sensor code we were receiving, we changed out the fuel pump and hard wired the T189 connector on the sensor directly into the ECM. At this point we were clear of all Trouble codes (Hard or Pending). All systems tested as ready except the Evaporative System and the Catalysts, even after driving 200 miles.

3. To try to straighten out the Evap, we removed the old Charcoal Canister and installed a Canister Vent Solenoid wiring it into the ECM and the fuse box. We also removed the Leak Detection Pump from underneath to allow for the CVS to hook into the Canister underneath. Still no Trouble codes at all. No check engine light, nothing. 200 more miles and still not ready on both Evap. and Catalysts.

The gas cap has been replaced. The Purge Valve seems to be working. The engine is running smooth and strong. Starts right up, temp is perfect. Transmission shifts smooth. No warning lights on the dash. Everything appears to be right on until we get to the OBDII readiness.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no offense but that's a lot of trouble to keep a non-CDL rover..should of just sold the '02 and bought the whole '99

Old 09-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Rock Crawling

The line with the purge valve needs to be plugged back into the plenum, as this is what creates the vacuum for the evap and has nothing to do with the SAI. Also, the evap and catalyst are not "checked" every time you start the car / drive. Complete the drive cycle to force these tests or initiate them through diagnostic software.

EDIT: My other post made me think of this, can't believe I missed it. When the rover shop programmed your ecu they would have/should have reset all the adaptive values on top of everything else you basically have a virgin ECU and you will not get the readiness codes until all the drive cycles have been completed. I don't know them off the top of my head (they're convoluted) but I'm sure they're around here. Give that a go and then see what your scanner says or just keep driving it. Even a dead battery can cause the lack of readiness.

Last edited by tee51397; 09-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

When inspected, I doubt you will be able to register it, that's when the pain will hit you.
You should have switched out the 02 heads and other parts cause as it stands, you can't even sell that vehicle in most states.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Good point. If one were into such illicit behavior they could go to the dealer and get new vacuum diagram and emissions stickers for a disco W/O SAI, remove the old stickers and replace with the new applicable ones.

For the most part the only ones who could pull the full datacard on the vehicle would be a LR dealer and, well, we know there's about a 0% chance they'd catch the discrepancy.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:54 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually it would be easy to catch. Lots of states require you to hook up a scanner to check codes. It would easily catch it. Plus you would have the extra wiring from the secondary valve.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Who would leave that now unnecessary junk just sitting an engine bay? The SAI vacuum port on the plenum is still present on non-SAI vehicles, it just has a little rubber cap over it which is what it sounds like the OP did.

The Motronic was swapped with a non SAI so no emissions fault codes to show up there. It would have been synced to his vin and the emission homologation status would show a Federal vehicle.

Since both Federal and California versions were imported how is there any way for anyone to know which version this vehicle was from the factory without the VIN and manufacturers datacard, assuming everything else is as a 49 state vehicle would have been.

If the OP is in any other state than California there is nothing illegal about putting an unmodified Federal certified version of the engine in the car. Even changing the labeling isn't illegal, in fact, it's what should be done. Revised emissions placards would accurately and truthfully reflect the state and certification of the engine currently in the vehicle. Disabling the EVAP would be a no-no, however, and the OP should put things back as they were.

Not trying to be argumentative, I just don't see it.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:49 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it all. I do just want to be able to register the vehicle. I live in Georgia and in the next county over there are no emission requirements. We only have it in the metro Atlanta counties. Additionally, after we spend a set amount (which I am well past), we can file for an Emission Exemption, so there is no need for any type of deception. I was just trying to follow up on the original emissions for the engine that has been installed, once I made the initial mistake of going with a non-SAI engine. Hindsight truly is 20-20. I just thought there might be some suggestions to help get the evap to ready. And if nothing else, throw up a red flag to others.

Thanks tee, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh yeah I forgot about the 'spending exemption'..isn't it like $500?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:40 PM
5th Gear

Just a quick followup. Catalysts finally readied. Took a 600 mile Drive cycle but, passed Emissions with a perfect score. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: OBDII Readiness-or not!