Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obervations of Tom Woods and BPtah Front Driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by longtallsally
GBR. End of discussion. I actually had this very conversation with Bill a couple weeks ago and this precise failure. Tom and Bill are where I learned a good bit of what I know about Discos and I couldn’t recommend them any more adamantly. Just great guys that make incredible products from such a small shop.
Yes they are wonderful to work with on anything Land Rover.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoID (01-19-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 01:29 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 281 Likes on 215 Posts

I appreciate everyone sharing their observations. As I mentioned in my first post above, I have had two BPUtah front driveshafts (vibration issues on both) and Tom Woods (broken center pin).

This second BPUtah driveshaft was purchased and installed 1-1/2 years ago. My buddy just helped me to remove the driveshaft today for a RWD test drive. The vibration (starts at 70 mph) is gone. The double cardan ujoint is also showing unnecessary play.

Looks like GBR is going to be my next try.

Last edited by acg; 01-20-2023 at 01:31 AM.
ace10 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 01:14 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 281 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by longtallsally
GBR. End of discussion. I actually had this very conversation with Bill a couple weeks ago and this precise failure. Tom and Bill are where I learned a good bit of what I know about Discos and I couldn’t recommend them any more adamantly. Just great guys that make incredible products from such a small shop.
I just spoke with Bill for the first time at GBR. What fun to learn from his extensive knowledge. We spoke for a 1/2 hour about TrueTrac diffs, springs, drivelines, suppliers, etc. The conversation would have been longer if I did not have to go to work conference call. Too bad I don’t live nearer to SLC. A GBR driveshaft is on its way to me!

The following 3 users liked this post by acg:
boostedt0y (01-21-2023), Richard Gallant (01-21-2023), YETIX (01-21-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 02:07 PM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

2-3 years ago I installed a BPUtah shaft on my truck with a 3" lift and 33" tires. Within 10k miles the centering ball broke. I was down the shore when I was cruising and heard some terrible noises. Somehow I was still able to drive home but with a terrible vibration.

I ended up taking it off and having a well regarded LOCAL shop rebuild it. After getting it back I was getting a very high frequency vibration at 65 mph. I called the shop and they swore up and down that it was high speed balanced. After that I began replacing all sorts of parts (rear driveshaft disc, the front transfer case bearing, flanges etc) to figure out the issue. The vibration was still there. I ended up removing the front driveshaft to test just the rear and the truck drove smooth as butter. From there I called the rebuild shop back and they agreed to rebalance it. After getting it back guess what? It still vibrated. At that point I was desperate so I ordered one from AB. I installed it confident the front shaft was my issue. NO, still vibrated. I ended up returning it. I was lost at this point.

Finally, I called this shop:

Mr. Driveshaft
5134A W Hurley Pond Rd, Wall Township, NJ
(732) 938-4118

I brought the problem shaft to him and within a day he had it completely rebuilt with not so nice things to say about the original BPUtah shaft I had rebuilt at my local shop. Keep in mind this was during covid where spicer parts were nearly impossible to get. The owner explained everything in detail with me and said that inferior parts were used on the rebuild. I installed it and to my surprise the vibration was gone. Give these guys a call. They are old gear heads that have been building shafts for decades. You won't regret it.

Last edited by Boostle; 01-20-2023 at 02:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boostle:
Richard Gallant (01-21-2023), Virgil Grillone (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 04:02 PM
4wd Low
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

So, I purchased the “Heavy Duty” front shaft from BPU, just before covid. The shaft does not have 25k on it. That shaft went bad! My fault for not checking it, but after consulting with mechanics, it was determined to by my cv joints. Changed those, inspected half shaft splines, all ok. Put her back together, vibration still there. My brain . . .”must be the right wheel hub, I’ll replace both while I’m at it.” Still there. . . Checked all my fluids, as I had replaced all just prior to covid when I replaced that blasted front shaft. All topped off, clear, as if it were done yesterday. Never had forded any water to get the axels or drive lines submerged so they should have all been good. So I”m in to this 4 days and I don’t want to say how much in parts. . . I finally went to inspect that shaft and it is rattling like my brother’s ‘57 VW Oval that he stripped the insides out and never did anything with it again! . . . Bought a rebuild factory from GRS, in SLC, and now I still have rattle! Took it back to Steve the owner and he swears its not his shaft. . . Not sure where to go from here. While I had the BPU at his shop, I did have it in 4WD and running off the back axel. Could I have somehow damaged the transfer case doing so? Any feed back is appreciated. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .I just want my smooth D2 back!

Last edited by Virgil Grillone; 08-28-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

As i posted above, I'd take your truck to GBR in SLC.

YETIX (08-29-2023)