Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

odd engine problem with grand cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default odd engine problem with grand cherokee

yeah I know, a jeep, don't kill me lol. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here and several have previously owned jeep. Besides, I need to get this thing running so I can sell it to fund a lift, tires, and winch bumper for the rover

jeep fires right up and runs strong for 2-3 seconds then dies like you've cut off the switch. It does this consistently over and over. I've replaced fuel filter, fuel pressure is 40psi but drops down a few psi when it's started (this appears to be within spec) The jeep has sat for a few years and was vandalized. I found the hood open a few times but I can not think of anything somebody could do to cause this kind of problem. I have removed the VTSS security system module. '93 grand cherokee with 5.2L

btw, jeep ran great when it was parked

Last edited by NiteTrain; 10-26-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Any mice get in and eat the wire harnesses?

Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Make sure there are no acorn's in side the air box. LOL (sorry, couldn't resist)
So it ran fine when you parked it and now it starts and then dies after a few sec...bad gas.
Gasoline goes stale in less than 30 days if not treated with a fuel stabilizer.
So you have several options, buy a can of SeaFoam (a fuel stabilizer) and pour it into the tank and then fill it with fresh gas.
Drain the gas tank.
Or just fill with fresh gas and hope for the best.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM
TReK

mike, mice eating a wire is very possible but I can't think of a wire that would cause it to start up and run for 3 seconds consistently.

spike, no airbox it has a K&N filter. Sometime last year when gas was so expensive somebody siphoned out all the gas. I'm not sure how they did it, I thought newer gas filler tubes were 'siphon proof' but they did it. I put in some new gas.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i have nothing against Jeeps. or their owners. i would never be seen in one. but what the hell is this doing in the disco section?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You will need to put in enough fresh gas to dilute the old stuff and make it "new" again.
5 gal wont due it, you need 10.
Even then until all the old stuff is out of the fuel lines she still wont run well if at all.
You can keep it running by spraying starting fluid into the intake and run it off of that, the fuel pump and injectors will keep giving the engine gas and eventually she will run on her own.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 PM
TReK

hilltopper, like i was saying..lots of knowledgeable people here..several former cherokee owners...funds from the sell of jeep will be used for my disco. This is the only part of the forum I post in, if the post is a problem for people I will delete it.

spike, I actually only put in about 3 gallons. I had considered that it might need more but i think it was completely empty from being siphoned. I will add some more gas.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Check plugs and wires, they might have fouled with the old gas that was in the lines. IDK if they have distributors, but check it if it has one. Fuel pump might be weak...getting good pressure at prime, but not strong enough to keep it running. Is the CEL on?

Old 10-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you check your tank?
you might have something foriegn in your there.

If someones been stealing the fuel they might have dropped somthing in there that blocks the fuel intake under suction.
________
SEXY_GODDESS4UXX CAM

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

[quote=NiteTrain;145449]from the sell of jeep will be used for my disco.
quote]

that makes it all OK with me. if you can sell someone elses jeep as well to fund some more parts for your disco.

Quick Reply: odd engine problem with grand cherokee