Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh gawd bad block!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh gawd bad block!?!

Ok, new thread because nobody helped before . . .

04 disco, head gasket was blown, had rover automotive (located next to rovertym) make the repair . . . they test drove apx 60 miles. I drive away and apx 30 minutes later the check engine light comes on and 5 minutes later engine begins to overheat, i pull over and bleed air out of cooling system, coolant is spilling out of overflow tank.

I let it sit, refill, and it makes the drive home with no problems, apx 1 hour on highway. now it wants to overheat. I checked the codes and cylinder 4 is misfiring. what to do guys!?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it back to repair shop!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
Take it back to repair shop!
I'll second that.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should tow it back to the repair shop, minimize any additional damage.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, if they're reputable they'll fix it.

There's no telling what the problem is (other than the guys that worked on it).

Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Three Wheeling

we'll see, they offered to take it back . . . which i was skeptical on considering the milage.

i'll update with news, any advice/experiences are EXTREMELY welcomE! in the meantime i'm searching the forums.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Mudding

i've been dealing with almost the exact same problem with my 04. i ended up rebuilding my engine because i also had a bad tick.

did they pressure test the heads before they did the head gaskets? did they check to see if the heads needed machining. did they check the cylinder 4 sleeve before they put it back together? sleeves can drop and you'll lose coolant and make that cylinder misfire and make the engine overheat. i'm assuming it was misfiring and you were losing coolant and that's why you did the head gasket job.

get them to take the heads back off and do all of that work first. but, the only way i know of to know what's going on with your block is to have it pressure tested. but that means you have to pull it.

i started with all the first stuff i listed.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Three Wheeling

wow, mine had a bad tick to, pressure tested . . . machined heads. after all that it held for only 70 miles or so. . . mechanic said its a porous block, which makes since to me.

quoted me 1000 for a new block and 900 to install since i just blew all that money and still don't have a running vehicle. any thoughts on this?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Mudding

is the block porous or has a sleeve slipped? may be cheaper to pressure test the block and fix the sleeve that has slipped. probably cylinder 4. a slipped sleeve will cause a miss and make you lose coolant.

also have them use a block tester which will determine if you've got exhaust in your coolant.

was the tick coming from up high or down low on the engine?

if you get a used replacement block, you don't know if there's anything wrong with that one or how it was treated in the past.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Three Wheeling

first, i vote we remove these annoying lincoln ads, which are designed to *** with us when you try to click on the message box they get rolled over and block it. intentionally.

block is porous, and they offered another block and to have it ready by end of business friday, and will give it a year guarantee with unlimited miles.

While i'm annoyed i don't see that any shop could ever do any better, at this point it would have cost me about the same to have bought another engine and have it swapped. also, the shop drove 70 miles out and picked it up for me, for free. So up to now aside from it being a bad situation for all parties involved this shop has been great.

tick tick tick, i'll get back with that on Saturday. I had a hard time tracking it down before, i've only got one good hearing ear haha.

Quick Reply: Oh gawd bad block!?!