Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change PA

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change PA

Hi everyone. I just recently got a Discovery II. I was wondering if anyone is from the mainline Pennsylvania area and where you normally go for oil changes. I know the dealership wants $110. I feel as though that might be a little high but I could be wrong.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Oil Change PA

Why not do your own and learn a little more about your truck?
For under $30 you can do it yourself.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can do it your self for the cost of the oil and filter and 20min of your time.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

All you need is the oil, filter (K&N 3001 or Mobil1-301), a wrench for the filter, and a 15mm wrench to remove the drain plug. Oh and a pan to catch the oil helps too.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and you get a sense of achievement for free
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple of basic questions and this seems as good of place as any to ask: How do you check the transfer case fluid, transmission fluid, and how do you grease the front drive shaft (do you just put the nozzle on the zerk and squirt?)? is there any other fluids/ other thingsthat should be checked while under there? Sorry for high-jacking the post but I am used to oil changes in cars and am mechanically inept. Up until now I have been going to a local place but that is getting expensive. Thanks

Old 11-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: salve7

I have a couple of basic questions and this seems as good of place as any to ask: How do you check the transfer case fluid, transmission fluid, and how do you grease the front drive shaft (do you just put the nozzle on the zerk and squirt?)? is there any other fluids/ other things that should be checked while under there? Sorry for high-jacking the post but I am used to oil changes in cars and am mechanically inept. Up until now I have been going to a local place but that is getting expensive. Thanks
PM me with your tele number and I will walk toy thru all your questions.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: tkos5250

Hi everyone. I just recently got a Discovery II. I was wondering if anyone is from the mainline Pennsylvania area and where you normally go for oil changes. I know the dealership wants $110. I feel as though that might be a little high but I could be wrong.

Thanks
If you dont want to do it yourself then just go to any quick lube, they can do it for you and it will cost you around $30.

Salve-since nobody else wants to spend the time to type it up I will.
The fill plug is on the back of the transfer case, take a 1/2" rachet with a extention, find the fill plug, it is beside the parking brake drum, there will be wires in the way, take it out, stick your finger straight in, if it gets wet, you are full.
As for the transmission, how to check the fluid level depends on if you have a DI or a DII.
On a DII there is a fill plug on the side of the transmission under the truck, check the fluid level the same way as the t-case.
On a DI there is a dipstick in the engine bay, engine running, trans hot.
The front and rear differentials are the same, remove the fill plug, stick in your finger, do this on both diffs.
Check the fluid in both diffs, transmission and t-case every 6 months, unless you have a leak then every 3 months, major leak once a month.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you see that any of your diff fluids are milky in color, like for instance if your trans fluid is the same pink opaque color as pepto bismal, then change them immediately, the milky coloration is due to water getting in there, which is not completely out of the ordinary... and as i'm sure you already know, oil and water do not mix...
________
AdorableBrina

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Is going to a place like Jiffy Lube a good idea. Anything to worry about the quality of the oil or filter that they use?

Quick Reply: Oil Change PA