Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Add-on for 4.6 engine???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
Just keep in mind repeated short trips that do not let the engine oil get up to temp will also shorten the engines life.

I have this problem with my wifes car in the winter time, it gets water in the oil because it does not run long enough to get the oil to temp.
The battery will also get weak and need to be recharged once a week.

Good point and the winters here in the Mtns can get pretty harsh...i will save the bolts that went where cooler lines went and when my October-November oil change rolls around i will take the lines off and put the bolts back in.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I wouldn't bother, thats alot of extra work.
I dont know what your driving habits are like, but even letting ti warm up for 10 min first start of the day or after sitting at work all day will help, this is all in the winter time of course.

Here is a example of my wifes driving habits, start engine, buckle kids in carseats, back out of garage, drive 3 miles, park in garage, shut engine off.
Sits all day, start back up, buckle kids, drive 1.5 miles, shut engine off, sit for 45 min, start engine, drive 1.5 miles, park in garage, shut engine off.
Next day, repeat.
When the engine is running the headlights are on, heater is on, rear defrost is on, wipers probably on (snow and all).
The engine never gets fully warmed up, temp gauge reads normal, but it does not get hot.
The store is 1 mile away, mall 1 mile, gas station .5 mile...you get the idea.
I am going to see if there is a hotter t-stat for her van since we just bought it I dont want the same fate as the Volvo.

If you drive more than 5 miles at a time most of the time you are probably going to be fine.

Last edited by Spike555; 08-23-2012 at 08:10 PM.