Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Installation 03/04???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the easiest way to install a oil cooler is to use a sandwich adaptor the fits between the block and the filter. They can be found on ebay and summit, there are a couple whole kits on ebay.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts
Old 07-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jafir
So it sounds like there shouldn't be a problem...the stock cooler and lines cost more than an aftermarket cooler with fan...next time i change the oil i will pull the plugs and get the thread size so i can get the right line adapters.

I already have the Glowshift oil filter sandwich plate but i got the one with just the ports for oil temp and oil pressure....bone head mistake...would have made my life a lot easier...

Oil temp is hanging around 200-205 with outside air temp around 80. soon as it gets over 90F out and you hit any sort of hill back up to 220.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:05 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by nychaze
So it sounds like there shouldn't be a problem...the stock cooler and lines cost more than an aftermarket cooler with fan...next time i change the oil i will pull the plugs and get the thread size so i can get the right line adapters.

I already have the Glowshift oil filter sandwich plate but i got the one with just the ports for oil temp and oil pressure....bone head mistake...would have made my life a lot easier...

Oil temp is hanging around 200-205 with outside air temp around 80. soon as it gets over 90F out and you hit any sort of hill back up to 220.
Have you complete this mo yet? Im very curious an interested in adding it to my 04 D2.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Rock Crawling

Yes, I picked up a used oil cooler with the lines for $25 and they went right in.

Getting the lines routed was a bit of a PIA but other than that pretty straight forward.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Rock Crawling

If I had to do it again...I would go with the glowshift sandwich that has the cooler lines, aftermarket cooler, and a 180 oil thermostat. My concern now is that I am not allowing the oil to get to operating temperature, at least as quick as it should during the cold months. The past few days it hasn't gotten over 5F here and my oil barely gets to 140F on the drive home, which is about 10miles. BUT the 4.0 has a cooler and no thermostat... so i can't be any worse off than them, right?

Nice setup, sandwich, lines, thermostat: Oil Cooler Kits - Oil Cooler Kit with Thermostat

I still have the plugs that came out of the 4.6 and thought about disconnecting the lines and putting the plugs in during the winter...mess...if i could cap the lines i guess that would be better.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:31 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by nychaze
If I had to do it again...I would go with the glowshift sandwich that has the cooler lines, aftermarket cooler, and a 180 oil thermostat. My concern now is that I am not allowing the oil to get to operating temperature, at least as quick as it should during the cold months. The past few days it hasn't gotten over 5F here and my oil barely gets to 140F on the drive home, which is about 10miles. BUT the 4.0 has a cooler and no thermostat... so i can't be any worse off than them, right?

Nice setup, sandwich, lines, thermostat: Oil Cooler Kits - Oil Cooler Kit with Thermostat

I still have the plugs that came out of the 4.6 and thought about disconnecting the lines and putting the plugs in during the winter...mess...if i could cap the lines i guess that would be better.

Hmm I live in New England so we get some serious cold weather in the winter months.... I wonder how my truck would operate with the cooler installed? Thing is Id like to be able to take my truck on cross country trips without the fear of over heating. Really want to keep the engine cold.

Do you notice any different in how the vehicle operates on cold day?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like the key to making the cooler addition worth it is to make sure it includes a thermostat. They cost about $150, so buying the cooler, lines, sandwich plate adapter and thermostat for $240 isn't a bad deal.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Do you notice any different in how the vehicle operates on cold day?
No, the oil will get up to temp just takes a bit longer. The 180T-Stat doesn't help...last year I put the stock T-stat in for the winter. This year I got lazy (and bought a vehicle with a hemi that can handle the hills a bit better.)

Old 04-27-2016, 07:24 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I ended up having my shop here in ATL put a new oil cooler in my 04 d2.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Installation 03/04???