Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Believe it or not...

There is a method to putting a transmission onto an engine. I know many of us just slap that sucker in there, bolt it up and go....but there is some centering and measuring.
Perhaps this case, something was pushing against the crank which caused some kind of wear or something was misaligned pulling the flywheel back, which pulled on the crank.

I still can't figure how you don't have oil pressure.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

I would not rely on internet forums for advice, you will very rarely find professional mechanics with real experience taking the time to get involved with this kind of discussion. Conversely you will find many keyboard experts who in real terms know everything and nothing.

Odd that they (Turner) didn't catch the 3rd main bearing (thrust bearing) being out of the engine, while checking movement...being the experts and all.

Land Rover Workshop Manuals > Discovery II > ENGINE - V8 > OVERHAUL > Crankshaft and main bearings > Page 283

Land Rover Workshop Manuals > Discovery II > ENGINE - V8 > OVERHAUL > Crankshaft and main bearings > Page 284

Just goes to show you how little Brits understand about Americans...we live, breath this crap...and participate in plenty of boards...experts, gurus and novices alike. Like to see him say something like this over on Rennlist.

Anyhow, just about "played out" as expected. I'd pull the engine and go through it...or have someone that really knows something about these motors...like D&D fabricating in Almont, Michigan.

Good luck, with whatever direction you proceed.

Brian.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Believe it or not...

There is a method to putting a transmission onto an engine. I know many of us just slap that sucker in there, bolt it up and go....but there is some centering and measuring.
Perhaps this case, something was pushing against the crank which caused some kind of wear or something was misaligned pulling the flywheel back, which pulled on the crank.

Correct, installation procedures are critical. And this is the "gray" area of the discussion...none of us were there, are there or will be there, and are only looking at pictures. Personally, if the auto trans was mounted up incorrectly...I'd think/believe that there would have been issues with the trans performance also. But, that's just a notion.

Brian.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:17 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
LOL keyboard experts....

I think they just don't want their name brought up with a fairly new rebuilt "Turner" engine that failed. Also a TD5 Diesel is going to vibrate/rattle a heck of a lot more vs a V8 so I don't consider that an apples to apples comparison.
Apparently people on forums know nothing.
Who knew?

I find it hard to belive an engine expert can know a transmission is to blame...yet know nothing about transmissions.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:20 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Correct, installation procedures are critical. And this is the "gray" area of the discussion...none of us were there, are there or will be there, and are only looking at pictures. Personally, if the auto trans was mounted up incorrectly...I'd think/believe that there would have been issues with the trans performance also. But, that's just a notion.

Brian.

Hear, hear!
The trans ruined the engine, yet there's nothing wrong with the trans.
Apparently 2+2=5

Old 01-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Hear, hear!
Apparently 2+2=5

In this case it may have just did some wear to the bearings...

Aside from operating properly..

Maybe there is something wrong with the trans. Just because it "shifts" supposedly normal to the feel, does NOT mean its not wearing prematurely or have leaking seals or on its way out.
It technically "could" be installs and binding.

and again, SHELF THAT ENGINE AND LOOK FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:56 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Hear, hear!
Apparently 2+2=5
I'm not sure 2+2=5, BUT

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

"You have more than one problem to deal with here. I would not rely on internet forums for advice, you will very rarely find professional mechanics with real experience taking the time to get involved with this kind of discussion. Conversely you will find many keyboard experts who in real terms know everything and nothing".

Yeah, that's me. Oil pressure light + diesel sounds + misfire, of course my first thought should have been an improperly installed transmission putting force on the crankshaft!

Old 01-09-2018, 06:48 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
In this case it may have just did some wear to the bearings...

Aside from operating properly..

Maybe there is something wrong with the trans. Just because it "shifts" supposedly normal to the feel, does NOT mean its not wearing prematurely or have leaking seals or on its way out.
It technically "could" be installs and binding.

and again, SHELF THAT ENGINE AND LOOK FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Which would tell me the torque converter is installed wrong. But, I've never seen or heard of one improperly installed that otherwise performed correctly.
I would take the engine apart and measure everything before I ever considered a transmission problem.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by OverRover

I'm not sure 2+2=5, BUT
lol, makes sense

Quick Reply: Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start