Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Good call out, either way I suggest some type of cleaning instead of hunting and pecking for an oil leak. In my experience, 9 out of 10 times, the oil is never coming from where I think it is.
Yep and the leaks can depend on where/how it's parked as well.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Good call out, either way I suggest some type of cleaning instead of hunting and pecking for an oil leak. In my experience, 9 out of 10 times, the oil is never coming from where I think it is.

Sooooooo true.....

Old 06-21-2017, 11:24 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The head gasket has never been done. Truck is not overheating and runs well, just the smallest stutter on a cold start.
It's parked on a level spot.

I was thinking of having the engine bay cleaned, but maybe I'll try the brake cleaner on some spots. I'm disabled and can't really get around to do anything more than minor.

I'm sure oil is collecting on spots other than from where it's directly leaking from/onto, so yeah a good cleaning is a fine idea. I was just trying to get some ideas of where oil can leak

thanks again,
Scott

Old 06-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by A5scott
The head gasket has never been done. Truck is not overheating and runs well, just the smallest stutter on a cold start.
It's parked on a level spot.

I was thinking of having the engine bay cleaned, but maybe I'll try the brake cleaner on some spots. I'm disabled and can't really get around to do anything more than minor.

I'm sure oil is collecting on spots other than from where it's directly leaking from/onto, so yeah a good cleaning is a fine idea. I was just trying to get some ideas of where oil can leak

thanks again,
Scott
Valve covers are the most famous spot, as it can collect at the front of the engine down past the timing cover, and then get blown all over the place or down the back over the transmission and down from there. Find a 5/16 or 8mm 12point socket and tighten down the outside bolts (inside bolts require removing the intake manifold to reach), then go to town with the brake clean, it does a really good job of blasting that oil off, and go from there.

The following users liked this post:
A5scott (06-28-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:45 AM
Mudding
Default update to oil leak

So,
I got off my *** and got on my back, and cleaned every surface I could reach under my D2. When I was under, oil was slowly raining off each suspension bar, cross member, and everything else. Oil made it all the way back to the drivers side rear wheel. Probably why that ABS sensor is bad. Probably why I was losing O2 sensors a bit faster than I should, they are caked in oil.

After scrubbing everything I could, there is nothing dripping or leaking from anywhere, aside from the valve covers of course. Two days later and not a drop on the ground anywhere under my truck.

I didn't know the valve covers outer screws need to be tightened with each oil change, or at least once a year lol. as needed I suppose.

I have all the parts to do a valve cover gasket job, and I'll have them do the coil packs while the upper plenum is out.

With the upper plenum pulled, will it be fairly obvious if the valley pan gasket is leaking enough to warrant a valley pan gasket job?

Thanks again for all the input.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:07 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by A5scott
So,
I got off my *** and got on my back, and cleaned every surface I could reach under my D2. When I was under, oil was slowly raining off each suspension bar, cross member, and everything else. Oil made it all the way back to the drivers side rear wheel. Probably why that ABS sensor is bad. Probably why I was losing O2 sensors a bit faster than I should, they are caked in oil.

After scrubbing everything I could, there is nothing dripping or leaking from anywhere, aside from the valve covers of course. Two days later and not a drop on the ground anywhere under my truck.

I didn't know the valve covers outer screws need to be tightened with each oil change, or at least once a year lol. as needed I suppose.

I have all the parts to do a valve cover gasket job, and I'll have them do the coil packs while the upper plenum is out.

With the upper plenum pulled, will it be fairly obvious if the valley pan gasket is leaking enough to warrant a valley pan gasket job?

Thanks again for all the input.
With the upper intake off, and coil packs removed, you can see the top of the transmission.
You'll be able to see and feel if the back of the lower intake is leaking or not.
With the engine down that far, the gasket is cheap enough to replace. Only about 8 or 10 bolts hold lower intake, and one bolt on each end holds metal clamp over end gaskets. Easy job.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:44 PM
Mudding

Ok so may as well get that done too.
That could help stop a slow coolant leak

Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

If coolant is leaking from the back of the engine, around the lower intake, it's coming from the head gasket(s).
The lower intake seals in the oil from the lifter valley only.
If there is coolant there too, it's running from the back corner of the head(s).
I was talking about an oil leak in the previous post, not a coolant leak. Sorry for any confusion.

The following users liked this post:
A5scott (07-31-2017)