Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak from driver side rear diff / Disco 03

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak from driver side rear diff / Disco 03

Hello

Today, I changed wheels on my disco and noticed oily wet inside of the rim and some drips from under the brake disc. The brake caliper and the brake line looks dry, so I excluded brake system leak. I believe that the diff is leaking. As far as I could see on rear axle layout there is only an o-ring at the end of diff right by the wheel (position #2). Please correct me if I'm wrong. Should I expect any surprises when I change that o-ring? Or maybe there is something else I should be aware of what causes the leak. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Adam

Attached Thumbnails oil leak from driver side rear diff / Disco 03-rear-axle-component-layout.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

O-ring or the hub bearing is starting to fail. The o-ring is a simple and cheap fix to try first. You need to pull the wheel, caliper, rotor and rotor bracket. Remove the 4 bolts holding the bub bearing on. The hub and axle come out as 1 piece. Replace the o-ring and put it back together. Some gear oil may leak out. You can minimize this by jacking up the side that you are working on so the oil drains back toward the pumpkin.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Overlanding

Hi
Thank you for the instruction. Pulled it out and.... looks like it's the option #2. Did not notice any leaks around o-ring, so it's got to be hub bearing. The leak is not that big, so I will install a new o-ring for the time being until I order and replace the bearing. That arises a question is it better to change the whole hub, or just to have the bearing pressed in? On one hand the hub looks pretty expensive, but on the other pressing out the old one and pressing in the new one will consume a lot of my time. Any suggestions as always are greatly appreciated and introduced in rover's life
Adam

Old 08-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I could be wrong, but I believe the bearings are not serviceable. I just replaced the driver's side rear hub on my truck a little over a week ago. It was not a bad job. I had replaced the o-ring the week before and not fixed the problem so I replaced the hub and rotors and pads on both sides at the same time. I was done in just over two hours for the whole job.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

make sure it is not the hub leaking

Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Overlanding

Gentlemen

Ok, yesterday I pulled it out (the hub assembly) I cleaned the area replaced the o-ring, put little rtv blue on it, put it together let it sit overnight.
Today, started the truck up, 100 feet on reverse (so far so good) no warning lights etc. Took it to complete stop change the lever to drive. Right after 15 - 20 feet TC came out, the engine did not respond to accelerator (only for that TC duration of time) then right after my 3 best friends popped out along with BRAKE. The brakes respond as always - so yes I have brakes. Checked the brake fluid level - full, but the light stays on. So the next step I took was to take off the caliper and the disc just to see if ABS sensor is mounted correctly. Did not find anything there. Any suggestions what caused the brake light to come and stay on the dash? Will simple overnight battery disconnect turn off warning light?

As far as the hub goes it is too early to say if the o-ring fixed the leak problem. The hub price simply kills me.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.
Adam