Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Oil leak help!

OK, so I've always has slight oil leaks with my '04 Disco. I check the oil regularly and top it off. My husband says if it ain't leakin', it's empty. Appears to be head gaskets leaking, but just slightly. But now, all of a sudden, I've got a steady drip anytime the car is running. Looks for all the world like it's the oil filter. Even the dealership mentioned it the last time I was in. They changed the oil again and put on the "official" brand filter, but that didn't stop it. So, my question is, could there be a problem with whatever it is that the oil filter screws up onto? What is it called? Can I replace it? How big a job is it?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest trying to post pictures above and below the leaks. Our 2003 Discovery leaks (more like weeps) oil from the oil cooler plugs and the oil filler neck.

The valve cover bolts could also be lose. When we replace our plugs and wires I could remove the valve cover bolts by hand. Lose valve covers will leak oil down the side and back of the engine.

Also be sure to have your trucks PVC system checked for obstructions. Each valve cover has a ventilation with only one oil separator. The oil separator is located on the passenger side valve cover toward the firewall.

In the spring we intend to replace those oil filler plug o-rings and the oil fill neck o-ring.

2003 Discovery 125K with high miles service complete.

Last edited by borchera; 02-21-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Brandy, might want to send me your number so I can walk ou thru what to check/do before it gets any worse.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mbeasom
OK, so I've always has slight oil leaks with my '04 Disco. I check the oil regularly and top it off. My husband says if it ain't leakin', it's empty. Appears to be head gaskets leaking, but just slightly. But now, all of a sudden, I've got a steady drip anytime the car is running. Looks for all the world like it's the oil filter. Even the dealership mentioned it the last time I was in. They changed the oil again and put on the "official" brand filter, but that didn't stop it. So, my question is, could there be a problem with whatever it is that the oil filter screws up onto? What is it called? Can I replace it? How big a job is it?
Common place to leak is the oil filter housing, there is a TSB on this and to do it right you need to get a new better quality oil filter housing. Mine was leaking too, I just changed the O-ring. 4 screws are holding the oil filter housing to the block, you have to buy new screws in addition to housing O-ring and filter O-ring, before you disassemble. I think the size was M6X100 and they are around an inch long.

Attached Files
Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 AM
Drifting

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. We just purchased another car so that we can put the Land Rover down for a while and try to get it patched up. Will let you know what turns up.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Update:
After a lengthy discussion with DiscoMike (thanks!), we removed a skidplate(?), degreased the underside, and then just got underneath and watched for leaks. Well, it does appear to be the heads, unfortunately. A tiny bit from the oil plug, but got that patched up easy. Anyway, making an appointment for head gasket service at The Shop in Norcross, GA today. This is definitely not one we want to try to do ourselves. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Three Wheeling

how much did they charge you?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, let us know what they find and what their estimate is.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Drifting

Heads are definitely leaking badly. $2200 includes everything, plus new plugs & wires. Dealer wanted $3400.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Might shop around for another price, but it won't trim much in a major market like Atlanta. Would have expected head gaskets alone to be in the $1700 range. Perhaps some of the gang in the area can suggest other indy shops for a second opinion. Sorry I don't know them up there anymore, when I lived in your area Indian Trail was a dirt road from the expressway to Lilburn.

Of course, you can take the plunge and buy some tools, $300 in parts (just the head gaskets), and another $200 or so at the machine shop; two long weekends of work, plenty on here have taken off the tie, swapped wing tips for sneakers, and picked up a wrench.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-01-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil leak help!