Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak Pic

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:56 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Oil Leak Pic

I have an oil leak that is pretty heavy, and wanted to get your ideas on where and what the oil leak could be. Not the greatest photo, but this is underneath, drivers side. you can see the Crank Sensor is caked with a couple of years worth of oil.

Just curious to find out if this is something I can take care of myself and what the probable causes are. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak Pic-img_2387.jpg  
Old 10-15-2014, 06:18 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

How much oil are you loosing per week on average? I check my oil a couple times per week so you should get into the habit of checking and topping off the oil level frequently.

First thing Id do is clean that entire area with some simple green. Clean up all the built up gunk. Then top your engine oil and drive for a couple days or maybe a week then get back underneath the truck and see where the new oil is leaking from. It should be easier to identify the location of a leak if the area in question is clean. Clean the entire exterior oil pan and around it as much as you can reach.

In a best case scenario its either a engine oil pan gasket failure or maybe when the oil pan was re-installed someone did a crappy job with the rtv sealant and thus a leak. Maybe its time to do an oil and filter change? While your at it maybe consider changing out the oil pan gasket and see if that addresses the problem.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:38 AM
TReK

I am greasing the front driveshaft this weekend and am planning on cleaning it up. Hopefully that will shed a little light on the subject. I am going to torque the oil pan screws while I am there.

I am just wandering what would throw oil over thecrankshaft sensor. I would think the valve cover, headgasket would be likely.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I would think the valve cover, headgasket would be likely. check the back of the vc gaskets

Old 10-16-2014, 11:09 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by drowssap
I would think the valve cover, headgasket would be likely. check the back of the vc gaskets
I will take a look at that this weekend. There is no coolant in the oil so I am hoping it is not the head gasket.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:10 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by TRIARII
How much oil are you loosing per week on average? I check my oil a couple times per week so you should get into the habit of checking and topping off the oil level frequently.
I don't lose much, but frankly don't drive it much.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
I say valve cover and vallypan gasket. Its hard to leak oil from the head gaskets. Not a lot of oil in that area.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:59 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
I say valve cover and vallypan gasket. Its hard to leak oil from the head gaskets. Not a lot of oil in that area.
I hope your right.

Is there a possibility of the rear main seal leaking that high up?

Old 10-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

They are correct I meant to say valley / valve covers

Last edited by drowssap; 10-17-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I hope your right.

Is there a possibility of the rear main seal leaking that high up?
I don't think so.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak Pic